Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap results
Cpap results
I am presently trialling a cpap machine and whilst it has reduced my ahi's to 2-3 I still feel terrible when I wake up from sleep at night or during the day. The set pressure is 10.2 and ramp time is 5 mins. I am hesitant to keep using it. I have been on it for over a month. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Geoff
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap results
I am no expert, having been on CPAP for 2 months just about. I too have a set pressure.
In my experience, having been sleep deprived with severe SA, it took 2 or 3 weeks before I started to feel "great" .... took time for my body to adapt, also took over a week to get the mask right, and deal with the panic attacks.
My advice is to download the sleepyhead software, and check your results every day..... more than the AHI.
I could see my time in apnea every night was getting less and less, and this in itself re-assured me.
Be brave, tough it out..... it is totally worth it in the long run.
Post Reply Post Reply
Geoff,

I am still fairly new to CPAP (been using the machine regularly for about two months). I have had only a handful of days where I've felt good in the mornings.

I, too, recommend downloading the SleepyHead software and looking at your data with that if you have the means to do that.

It tells you a lot more than just what your AHI is. For example, in my case, I was having almost no apneas during the early part of my sleep but a whole bunch clustered together in a 2-3 hour period later in the night. My average AHI was around 5.0, but the AHI for that 2-3 hour period was much higher.

SleepyHead will let you see what type of events make up your AHI (apneas, hypopneas, central apneas if any, RERA (respiratory effort-related arousals) and it calculates your total time in apnea.

It took me a while to learn how to generate the graphs and upload them here (I recommend imgur.com for ease of getting your images to display here) but the time spent has been well worth it.

People on this board are great about looking at your data and offering analysis and suggestions, too.

I went to my sleep doctor for my first follow-up visit about a month ago. I was sort of expecting some data analysis from him, but all that he did was to print out a report from my machine's reporting software that gave my average AHI. Unless your doctor is unusual, you're probably going to have to do the work yourself if you want to investigate why you may not be feeling well despite using CPAP nightly.

Your data may show that a fixed pressure is not doing the job for you and that you really need auto (APAP) which varies pressure within set limits to respond to your detected apneas.

I have found that getting even a night or two of sleep with very few apnea events leaves me feeling so much more energized and alert that I barely recognize myself. It's a huge positive reinforcement for using xPAP therapy for for using SleepyHead to find out if my machine settings need adjusting.

Post Reply Post Reply
You machine has many comfort settings that have all been left at "default" and unless you are the very rare person that fits the default settings you might need to adjust some or all of these things to your personal preference. You will not sleep well if you are not comfortable.

As above get sleephead, it's free. there are links above or do a search for "sleephead software" and you will find it.
Post Reply Post Reply
As you say, your AHI results have been reduced...SO why would your be hesitant to use the machine, if it is doing its job and you are getting better therapy?? Some slight tweaking may be necessary in the future. You may even turn off the ramp as you will become used to the pressure. You didn't say how long you have been using the equipment but it does take most folk's body time to adjust. Its usually not an overnight thing. I suggest that you continue your CPAP use and learn with gusto as much as possible about the apnea disorder and the modes avbl to your machine use. Good Luck
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi miltam,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I want to encourage you to stick with your CPAP therapy.
It can take some getting used to and sometimes it takes quite a while before you notice much improvement.
Just hang in there and don’t give up.
Much success to you and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, miltam. Welcome to the board.

Don't give up on CPAP just yet. Some users report it took them months to start feeling the benefits of CPAP therapy. I would recommend downloading and using SleepyHead to monitor your therapy. It could be helpful to post some charts for some of the experts on the board to look at. Perhaps they can advise you on getting more from your therapy.

There are several factors that can affect your therapy, three of which are finding the right mask for you, getting mask leaks low enough for the CPAP machine to be able to effectively treat your apnea and finding the right pressure for your therapy. It is common that the titrated pressure is not the optimum therapy pressure. Keep in mind that some people have other issues that that need to be addressed before they can feel completely rested.

My advice would be to, with the help of the fine folks on this board and your doctor, keep working to optimize your treatment, address any additional issues you may have that can affect your quality of life and/or sleep and give the therapy time to work.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 184 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 134 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,181 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Help interpreting Oscar results stanley61 10 474 03-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: stanley61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.