Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap sound-proof box
Cpap sound-proof box
Hello!

Story of my life:

I've got resmed airsense 10 with nasal pillow and its almost impossible to sleep due to the noise. I can hear the fan and this small "whistle" sound during inhale. I'm very sensitive and need absolute quiet environment which is impossible with a cpap. I've tried earplugs without any success I keep hearing my heartbeats(hard to explain) Too-funny

I've read some threads about creating some kind of "sound proof" box but here In Sweden my doctor told me its a big no due to the ventilation. I really need to find a solution because I'm tired and can hardly work, also got ADHD so life is a complete disaster. Oral device works on paper but still feels dead in the morning.

Any thoughts or advice?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap sound-proof box
I use the A10 as well and it's extremely quiet. The small whistle sound you hear is likely caused by the humidifier tank not being properly seated into the machine. Make sure it's pushed in all the way. There may also be a problem with the gaskets/seals where the tank meets the machine. Make sure these are seated properly. There are many threads on this issue which you can review on A10 noise. If you can hear the fan loudly there may be a problem with your machine. There is a 2 year warranty so don't hesitate to return the machine for a new one if these problems continue.

Welcome to the Board. You have come to the right place for help and all things cpap related.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, Ostrich. Welcome to Apnea Board. Smile

I can tell you what my solution to hearing the CPAP machine and the sound of air whooshing by has been. I don't know if it will work for you.

I made a playlist of music on my iPod that I find to be sleep & calm-inducing, and I set the iPod to turn off after that playlist is finished. I didn't used to be a fan of listening to music before sleep, but like you, I found the sounds and vibration of the CPAP machine to affect my ability to relax and get sleepy.

I have been using CPAP for about 5 months now. I sometimes don't need the music to fall asleep now, but I still use it most nights. The CPAP machine and air sound much quieter to me now than they did at first.

If you don't want music, you might try a fan or look for some "white noise" recordings.

Quite a few people who visit this forum seem to find that they need medication to help them sleep for the first few weeks that they use CPAP. Melatonin or something similar can be helpful.

I imagine that you will get some replies about how to build a noise-proof box for the CPAP machine that doesn't block the air inflow. The whole machine doesn't need ventilation as far as I know. Just the air intake area and outflow (hose).
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2016, 09:37 AM)green wings Wrote: Hello, Ostrich. Welcome to Apnea Board. Smile

I can tell you what my solution to hearing the CPAP machine and the sound of air whooshing by has been. I don't know if it will work for you.

I made a playlist of music on my iPod that I find to be sleep & calm-inducing, and I set the iPod to turn off after that playlist is finished. I didn't used to be a fan of listening to music before sleep, but like you, I found the sounds and vibration of the CPAP machine to affect my ability to relax and get sleepy.

I have been using CPAP for about 5 months now. I sometimes don't need the music to fall asleep now, but I still use it most nights. The CPAP machine and air sound much quieter to me now than they did at first.

If you don't want music, you might try a fan or look for some "white noise" recordings.

Quite a few people who visit this forum seem to find that they need medication to help them sleep for the first few weeks that they use CPAP. Melatonin or something similar can be helpful.

I imagine that you will get some replies about how to build a noise-proof box for the CPAP machine that doesn't block the air inflow. The whole machine doesn't need ventilation as far as I know. Just the air intake area and outflow (hose).

Hello and thanks for the replies.

I sometimes listen to new age and it makes me very tired but when Im ready to actually sleep the problem occurs. Im using zopiclone but it doesnt help with the cpap just toss and turning into eternity. I've got melatonin also but it doesn't work.

With patience I might find the machine less annoying? Im gonna make a soundproof box because it cannot get worse Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
Just make sure you have a way for fresh air to get into the box
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ostrich,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and finding a solution to the problem you are having with machine noise.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Board Ostrich!

Would it perhaps help if you were to put your CPAP on the floor? Also on the same note, I know they sell 10 ft (3 metres) hoses and maybe that would allow you not only to put it on the floor, but maybe on the other side of a night table (that most of us have beside our bed)?
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Without actually building anything, you may want to do some experimenting by placing a loose pillow (or equal cloth padding)
over the machine to see if cutting down on the sound immediately around the machine is actually the problem. Don't let it block the air intake. If that works, then an enclosure could be the answer. If it doesn't, you haven't wasted any time on construction. I doubt you could build anything any more effective than a pillow, so that test would be valid. JMHO (rigid foam insulation could work well)

Dude.

ps. During the experiment, it would be a good idea to include a thermometer inside the enclosure to check that your machine isn't being exposed to excessive heat.
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems that the supporting structure for the CPAP has a lot to do with sound levels. Using my normal nightstand causes the drawer area below the top to act as a sound box, amplifying the blower sound. I've found that using a duppey little TV stand that I made from medium density fiberboard (MDF) if considerably more dense and suppresses virtually all vibrational noises. This makes it sound like my HVAC system running.

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a 2-drawer nightstand, and keep the unit in the lower drawer on a towel. The hose and electric lead passes through a 4 cm diameter hole in the rear of the cabinet and it is dead silent. Ventilation is no problem since there is plenty of make-up air through the drawer openings and hole for the hose.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 190 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] DS2 Making whirring sound when inhaling egg 5 1,874 12-28-2023, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Agent Smith
  [CPAP] AirSense 10 beep or ding sound Baklash 0 514 07-30-2023, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Baklash
  UARS Proof - Resmed Airlink Nasal Cannula Apnea23 0 529 06-07-2023, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Apnea23
  Constant air leak sound but leak doesn't show up in software shanky 2 857 02-05-2023, 12:04 AM
Last Post: shanky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.