Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap starter What pressure to use
Question 
Hi all,

I posted earlier about my diagnosis, mild apnea rdi 12. I bought a dreamstation with a F&P full face Mask. Was wondering What my pressure setting should be beceause I have low AI 4,5 and the rest is flow limitation.

Should I go by just how I feel ? 

Thank you all
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
A good low range to try would be 5 minimum to 11 maximum. The machine will usually sort things out, but if your flow limitations are persistent then pressure could go higher than wanted. I usually suggest someone start on a minimal nasal pillow mask, and move to a full face if mouth-leaks are a problem, but this is fine and you can always try a nasal mask later.

A low or high diagnostic AHI is not predictive of the pressure you will need. Be sure to download SleepyHead, and be sure a SD card is in the Dreamstation so you can monitor your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Disregard Sleeprider has arrived.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2018, 10:41 AM)emos12 Wrote: Hi all,

I posted earlier about my diagnosis, mild apnea rdi 12. I bought a dreamstation with a F&P full face Mask. Was wondering What my pressure setting should be beceause I have low AI 4,5 and the rest is flow limitation.

Should I go by just how I feel ? 

Thank you all

Are you new to xPAP or just this device? The reason I am asking is that one would normally start with the prescribed pressure settings in your Rx unless the prescription was simply the pressure range available on the device. 

A second consideration is the length of time that passes between settings changes to allow your body to accommodate and react to the new setting. I have friends who tweak their pressures every day in response to the previous night's numbers, and that is often counterproductive as you are simply chasing the numbers without regarding the multiplicity of factors that go into the nightly sleep equation like time, how much you have eaten, ambient temperature, humidity, pressure, and a host of other factors. So you may wish to log at least 7 - 14 days between major changes and keep the increments fairly small.

The best way to experiment is to keep testing and recording your results using SleepyHead and reviewing weekly. 

Sleeprider's suggestion of a 5-11 range appears to be prudent to allow the machine to auto-titrate your therapy over time. This will provide an excellent starting point for additional tweaks.

You may also want to keep your sleep doctor or RT in the loop -- especially if you are experiencing problems.

Have a great night's sleep for a better tomorrow.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
As an FYI, pressures of 4 & 5 are considered pediatric pressures, although they work for some very small women. You might do better to start at 6. You'll know right away. Don't hesitate to bump that up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP Pressure vs Bipap nadprok 18 608 04-24-2018, 05:39 PM
Last Post: nadprok
  Is it safe to increase the minimum pressure of my cpap? Kalule1 13 530 04-16-2018, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Changing pressure on HDM Z1 cpap dmh 23 40,436 04-09-2018, 10:21 AM
Last Post: jtk900
  Moving from Auto-CPAP to fixed - what pressure? dillida 4 303 04-01-2018, 02:03 PM
Last Post: bonjour
  CPAP air pressure setting ranchhand1 5 382 02-22-2018, 09:01 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  CPAP mask causes pressure upon eye sockets cecilchamp 8 401 02-15-2018, 05:29 PM
Last Post: ghstudio
  Back to the Vauto in CPAP/fixed pressure zzzZorro 32 1,408 02-01-2018, 11:48 PM
Last Post: ajack