Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap =tinittus or central sleep apnea?
Wink 
Cpap =tinittus or central sleep apnea?
I wanted to know if I wanted found any research or information about CPAP causing to other problems

I heard that CPAP can lead to ringing in the ears call tonittus or even Causing the brain to stop breathing which is called central sleep apnea

Any info? Ok
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap =tinittus or central sleep apnea?
we know central apnea is a neurological brain problem. search this forum and the internet for more info about central sleep apnea than you will want to read. re tinnitus, IDK. I do know I've had lifelong apnea and lifelong tinnitus and 20 months of pap has not changed the ringing in my ears.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2018, 03:08 PM)Mouchet Wrote: I wanted to know if I wanted found any research or information about CPAP causing to other problems

I heard that CPAP can lead to ringing in the ears call tonittus or even Causing the brain to stop breathing which is called central sleep apnea

Any info? Ok

You may wish to look at  [A preliminary study on the correlation between obstructive sleep apnea hypopnea syndrome and chronic tinnitus] being mindful that correlation does not always mean causation and that one who suffers from one issue may also suffer independently from another issue with the only correlation is that both conditions apparently exist in the same individual.

Quote:"More than 1/3 of patients with OSAHS had chronic tinnitus, both age and hearing loss maybe the risk factors of tinnitus in patients with OSAHS, but neither BMI nor the lowest SPO₂ was clearly related to chronic tinnitus."
It may be prudent for a patient presenting with chronic tinnitus to be screened for sleep disorders and more research is definitely needed.
Hope this helps.
Wishing you a better night's sleep for a wonderful tomorrow.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both. I know where the tinnitus came from. As a child I was into model airplanes and they were very loud. Diagnosed at age 21. Sleep apnea came 45 years later. 

Bet it’s coincidence.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I was diagnosed with SA in December last year.  I recall complaining of an odd timbre in my left ear about 14 years ago.  An MRI and detailed aural imaging showed nothing of note.  I developed tinnitus about five years ago to the point where I could hear it if I wanted to.  

I don't believe I had apnea 14 years ago.  I think it developed over perhaps the last five, maybe seven years.  My wife never complained about my snoring or other common indicators of apnea, but my daughter sure did when I visited her and her husband at their remote cabin for a week.  Mind you, my wife's snoring puts me in the minor leagues, so she probably was never in a position to complain.

Any hoo, in my case, I am quite certain my hearing began to deteriorate approximately 15 years ago, well before I developed apnea.  No post hoc link for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mouchet, rereading the initial post, I see you may be asking if cpap causes central sleep apnea. it can and does for some people. it's called treatment emergent central sleep apnea and/or complex apnea (I believe complex apnea is treatment emergent and mixed apnea is when you have both obstructive and central apnea from the outset, i.e., both are present during your polysomnogram). it's common enough that sleep docs usually want us to use cpap for one to several months to see if the central apneas will fade as we adapt to cpap. if not, other types of pap machines than cpap or apap may be more effective.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both tinnitus in my right ear and CSA. These are not linked in my case.

Tinnitus was caused by a 4th grade classmate hitting that ear. Ringing at 2.1k since.

I'd say I've got mixed apnea. Without the ASV machine that is.

I've had a few times the ASV "pressure" has modified my inner vs outer ear a bit. I do the yawn thing to equalize this. Fixes it every time. I can only think of 3 times this happened BTW. I liken it to the same situation as going up one of our PA "mountains". My ears tend to be somewhat sensitive to elevation changes, but not to the extreme I've noticed in some of my relatives.

Of course YMMV.
Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tinnitis and SA also. SA diagnosed 8 years ago, tinnitus long before that. According to my ENY. my tinnitus is mechanically caused - most likely the result of flying aircraft for 20+ years and working in a high noise environment - i.e. flight line. Even though I used hearing protection, when flying, the vibration still causes issues.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,671 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,573 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 4 267 04-11-2024, 11:20 PM
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 231 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 214 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,081 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.