Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap too high
Cpap too high
Is having too high a pressure set on the machine a problem? For example; I need a setting of 14cm h2o. Would using a machine set to 18cm h2o be a bad thing?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap too high
G'day Bullabill, welcome to the forum.

Your pressure should be high enough to treat your apneas but there's no benefit in going higher. A higher pressure is more likely to be uncomfortable, making it difficult to sleep - which would be counter-productive. It could also cause aerophagia - swallowing air into your stomach, which is likewise uncomfortable and will give you a gassy bloated feeling. Lastly, too high a pressure can often cause central apneas, which again is counter-productive.

Do you have a specific reason for the question?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, DeepBreathing,

"Do you have a specific reason for the question?"

I've read quite a lot of stuff about CPAP but nothing about the dangers (if any) of using too high a pressure. I tried searching the forum but found nothing here either.

In the article about adjusting the pressure setting it talks about adjusting by .5mm at a time and it mentions the point of diminishing returns. I had in my mind adjusting upwards and then finding that point, and then wondering why things are worse. That's all.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not familiar with your particular CPAP, but if it is data-capable, a better way is to use SleepyHead software to monitor your results. With a bit of practice (and guidance from some clever people on this forum) you can pretty quickly zero in on your optimum settings. You can find a link to Sleepyhead at the top of every page in this forum.

There's no way the machine can generate enough pressure to actually hurt you, so the dangers (such as they are) are limited to what I wrote above.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bullabill
Adjusting pressure upwards has to be for a reason, like having too many apnea/hypopnea events and AHI exceeding the acceptable level of 5
Also upward pressure doesn't help with central apnea and could make it worse. FP 238 doesn't flag central apnea and I'm not sure whether flag obstructive apnea/hypoponea or report leak rate either

SleepyHead doesn't support FP SleepStyle series, only support FP Icon and Icon +

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bullabill,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bullabill,

In addition to the possible risks which DB wrote of, unneccessarily high pressure could aggravate intraocular pressure and inner ear pressure, perhaps worsening glaucoma or hearing or balance problems. Also, higher pressure often means tighter face mask straps, which can cause problems, including stronger pulling on the jaw, perhaps worsening jaw TMJ problems or pulling the teeth inward until they become crouded and crooked.

Most of these risks are either minor or rare, but, certainly, it is generally a good idea to avoid higher pressure than actually needed for restful sleep.

But if we need higher pressure for restful sleep then we need to attend to it. (My own pressure often reaches 24 or 25 cm H2O.)

Most important is to achieve restful sleep, without which our health will gradually deteriorate horribly, and we might fall asleep behind the wheel and kill or cripple ourself and others.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, higher pressure can cause an increase in intrathoracic pressure resulting in issues with the vascular system, circulation, water retention, etc.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
bullabill!!!! Welcome!!!!

For me, the higher pressure while I use a nasal pillow causes major leakage issues. I have self moderated my usage and switched from CPAP to APAP mode and with much due diligence and record keeping, have improved my therapy immensely.

The folks here are a wealth of information that can help you improve your therapy.Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
The higher the pressure the more leaks. Be thankful with low pressure!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 124 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 688 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 102 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 116 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,412 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 212 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 294 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.