Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap user for 3 years, strange thing happening. [excessive leg movement?]
Cpap user for 3 years, strange thing happening. [excessive leg movement?]
Since being on CPAP I am wearing out my mattress bottom sheet. These are quality sheets and they are shredding like I am moving all night long. I have no memory of moving my legs. I do pedicures, so my feet are smooth. It is not where my feet would be if stretched out, but more like I have my knees slightly bent. I get good AHI numbe 1-3.5. This is getting expensive replacing sheets every 9 months. This’s only began since being on a CPAP. Any ideas what is doing this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap user for 3 years, strange thing happening.
My wife bought all cotton sheets i think was from Egyptian cotton that came apart where my feet were.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!

How do you feel?  Are you well rested? Are you getting restorative sleep?

It could be Periodic Limb Movement.  I think that is usually associated with negative answers to the questions above.

There is also Restless Leg Syndrome, but from what I recall that would not result in the wear you describe.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can not offer a reason. My experience before being treated by CPAP I had restless leg syndrome and kicked to waken myself to breathe. After treatment this stopped. Last year my machine became undependable and I started tossing so much the bottom sheet has long wrinkles after a couple of nights. We also have a shortage of bottom sheets.
Post Reply Post Reply
Easy and cheap solution is to sleep with a bath towel on top of your sheets. So, you'd lay on the bath towel instead of directly on the sheets.

I do that, as I have COPD (chronic bronchitis) and get night sweats at times, even though I'm treated with my cpap.

And/or, buy a camcorder and place it where it can take video at night, so you can see what's going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another is to wear socks. I came across an article when I first started CPAP and was willing to try anything that sounded logical. The article described leg movement due to cold feet. It went on to reference a study that noted the importance of having warm feet during sleep. Either way, it has worked and saved my sheets.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap user for 3 years, strange thing happening. [excessive leg movement?]
All of the above might apply, also some people are bothered with legs moving dur to nerve ain, it is not that painful, but it can make your toes curl over and your legs be in constant movement.  I would call it more of a nerve involuntary movement or irritation of the nerves in the legs, though it can also affect the arms.  If it was this your legs and feet will constantly be on the move without tablets for nerves.  Putting socks on is a good idea for this as well as it helps.
I get the above and without medication my legs will not stop moving all night, in fact it is so bad it wakes me and I can't get to sleep for it.
I used to have leg movement before diagnoses of Sleep Apnea, but this is a lot worse, your legs are constantly on the move without medication to stop them.
If all else fails, mention this to your doctor.  One night of tablets will tell if this is the problem, you will feel twice as rested.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap user for 3 years, strange thing happening. [excessive leg movement?]
(04-21-2018, 02:01 PM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: All of the above might apply, also some people are bothered with legs moving dur to nerve ain, it is not that painful, but it can make your toes curl over and your legs be in constant movement.  I would call it more of a nerve involuntary movement or irritation of the nerves in the legs, though it can also affect the arms.  If it was this your legs and feet will constantly be on the move without tablets for nerves.  Putting socks on is a good idea for this as well as it helps.
I get the above and without medication my legs will not stop moving all night, in fact it is so bad it wakes me and I can't get to sleep for it.
I used to have leg movement before diagnoses of Sleep Apnea, but this is a lot worse, your legs are constantly on the move without medication to stop them.
If all else fails, mention this to your doctor.  One night of tablets will tell if this is the problem, you will feel twice as rested.

What are the "tablets" you are talking about? My wife has this issue, and thrashes so hard sometimes, I can't stay asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,374 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 143 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 1,936 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 941 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 168 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,550 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 650 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.