Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap vs Apap difference? Mask horrors?
Cpap vs Apap difference? Mask horrors?
Hello everyone,

Last time I was here with a lovely bug infestion in my machine,
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-clean-up

I ended up cleaning it out myself. My DME would ignore my calls, and canceled appointments with me saying I was the one that called the cancel. And last batch of equipment they sent me, they fought me about I hadn't met my deductible yet which I did, and then sent me straps that said "not for resale" and a cheap tube that broke after 2 days.

Also when I first got my machine, I didnt like it felt like I was suffocating  until the machine revved up. I came here and found unlock settings. I recall waking up and seeing it read it was on lvl 10. And started was at 4. So I initially set it to 10, but that was too much to open with. I set to 7 in between and thats where I left it. Every time I went to DME for a checkup, hed asked if I changed my settings, and said they look good though, and thats it. Every time. One would think if its so rare to have a patient set their own settings, you would remember that. Put a note. nope, I was new every time.

So 2 weeks ago I finally found another Dr to go to, actually have me come in to do the sleep study, etc.
He wrote me a quick prescription so I could at least go to a local supply place for a new mask.
These are my new issues. I was using the Mirage FX for 4 years. No problems. My current one was over a year old and rubber getting stiffer and stabbing my nose/eye area. So I got a new one from a local place. Ill have to check the make and model again but if any pressure on the side of the nasal pillow, it actually pops an opening in the side and air rushes like crazy. Its the rubber part just pushes along the seams into the grip and not very tight. Also the straps were riding up on my head in the night and id wake up with my earlobes pushed back.
So then I had my first night for study with no machine. I'd rather be water boarded. 
2nd night was with their cpap machine. I was offered a nasal pillow or full mask. I wasnt used to the mask so I went with the pillow. I slept ok, being in a different place on the side of a highway with traffic and planes. Odd place for a sleep study.

Now I had mentioned to the tech how I set my own settings. He then changed them. I only recall him saying "why is it on auto? And ramp time of 45 is too much. Ill set to 5".
I dont have a log of what other settings might have been.

Ok, I bring those back home and try the Mask. As soon as I take a deep breath in, the machine over compensates and pushes so hard it pops the mask open at the bottom. Other nasal pillow had a filter or something over the little exhaust holes. I ripped it all out but now i can feel the air flow from 2-3 feet away so I guess I wrecked that.

I went with the new one I bought, and same issue, straps riding my ears.
I put my original straps on with the new ones clips, same issue, but at least these rode alone the ears and not flip the earlobes back.
Other night, not sleeping good, i put back the old year old pillow, and surprise, this flipped my earlobes which if never did for 4 years.

So this is where I stand. I went back into the machine and see it was set to CPAP. I remember the tech mentioned it was on auto, and then some settings looked familiar having some more start and ramp settings.
So what are the differences with cpap vs apap? It seems I might have been on APAP for years.
Will the resmed software let me see my SD card stats and pull up stuff like settings used on previous days?
I also saw settings for nasal, mask, etc. So is what I experienced with too much air normal and require me to change to Mask, or is that more of a general stat of just what was used?

Im waiting to hear back on the follow up of the tests to then see if I can get a new machine or something, but for now I'm on my own again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 3 170 04-20-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 114 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,291 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 184 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 145 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 150 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 236 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.