Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap water tank level doesn't move
Gross 
Cpap water tank level doesn't move
I have had my cpap for 2 years. Every morning of the 2 year stint the water tank would be near empty. The last 2 weeks the tank water level does not move. I have not noticed mouth dryness or nose dryness -- just a difference in the water level not going down. Unsure I don't know if my nasal pillow is not sealing properly and that is what is causing it or what.Thinking-about My expertise on this machine is about zero. I am hoping to be more educated on the cpap machine. The company the doctor sent me to; did not give me a cpap manual; did not offer any assistance; took 5 mos. to clarify billing. I quit them and intend to find a better company to assist me. Dont-know Would appreciate any comments. ThanksOh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap water tank level doesn't move
We have to ask, has the weather changed? High humidity might not require much water.

Also, the difference between outside temperature and inside temperature can vastly effect the need for moisture in the air.

Typically heating cold winter air is going to lower the Relative Humidity a lot. Oddly enough, cooling summer air removes water and when the cold air is added to a warming room this can also lower the humidity.

You might have (accidentally) changed the humidity settings, either level or on/off.

And of course the machine could be broken, or not fully connected.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep changing humidity in your room causes the use of or lack of use of water. Most nights on a PRS1 series 60 auto aflex I use next to nothing in water. But its fairly humid here in summer. The few very dry days its use more but nothing like a tank full no matter what setting it on.

I have noticed as its got colder it uses a bit more even on its lowest setting on some nights but not much. If you can determine what machine you have 560 with heated hose 550 without, auto etc it would help.

If you have preheat on your machine, which you likely do if its a 550 or 560 you can take out the tank turn on preheat and touch the base plate to see if its heating. But I will bet it is. PRS1 on PRS1 humidity mode alot of times wont use much water to maintain you humidity level because of ambient humidity already being pulled thru the machine in room air.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check to see if the water is getting warm. Let us know which machine you have. The best way to do that is in your profile. If you have the heated hose option it makes the operation of the humidifier more complicated.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...8#pid75378
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi babbsnc,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello babbsnc,

the link beneath may help identifying the exact type of your machine.

Identifying My CPAP Machine

Greetings
Fat Rat

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2014, 09:53 AM)herbm Wrote: We have to ask, has the weather changed? High humidity might not require much water.

Also, the difference between outside temperature and inside temperature can vastly effect the need for moisture in the air.

Typically heating cold winter air is going to lower the Relative Humidity a lot. Oddly enough, cooling summer air removes water and when the cold air is added to a warming room this can also lower the humidity.

You might have (accidentally) changed the humidity settings, either level or on/off.

And of course the machine could be broken, or not fully connected.
Thanks for your reply.:grin: My model is a 460P. Tonite I will check the heating plate to see if it is heating. I do not think it is. Yes, we had alot
of rain so that would be humidity and the temp has dropped. I am looking for a new cpac agency to check the machine out. I think it would be good if I knew something about it so they don't take me to the cleaners. You said maybe the heat is not fully hooked up or the level chg. I am not aware (like everything else about this machine) of where to chg. the humidity on the machine.Sad; or to know about hooking up something. I am a teacher so I do pretty well on directions.Huhsign
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2014, 12:29 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Yep changing humidity in your room causes the use of or lack of use of water. Most nights on a PRS1 series 60 auto aflex I use next to nothing in water. But its fairly humid here in summer. The few very dry days its use more but nothing like a tank full no matter what setting it on.

I have noticed as its got colder it uses a bit more even on its lowest setting on some nights but not much. If you can determine what machine you have 560 with heated hose 550 without, auto etc it would help.

If you have preheat on your machine, which you likely do if its a 550 or 560 you can take out the tank turn on preheat and touch the base plate to see if its heating. But I will bet it is. PRS1 on PRS1 humidity mode alot of times wont use much water to maintain you humidity level because of ambient humidity already being pulled thru the machine in room air.
No, mine is not a 550 or 560; it is a 460P. So I may be handicapped.Thinking-about For 2 yrs. I have used a full tank every night. That's why I feel weird the tank level not moving.Sad I am looking for a new cpap agency and have it checked out. Thank you for your reply.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm.... Have you moved? What has relative humidity been running in your location? How warm are you running the humidifier? I run mine set at 73. Which means it probably doesn't even kick on the heating element most of the time.

I would used to just remove the humidifier totally in the summer. Personally, I sometimes wonder if I'm not wasting money on H2O by running the humidifier. When I travel, I don't use it and really don't notice that much difference.

Post Reply Post Reply
Keep doing your home work on this site, you can learn reading any and all posts. Search old posts and you can figure it out. If you read about machines you may end up wanting a full reporting model? But the humidifier is no different on most machines. You should be able to find the instructions and or hidden settings. My humidifier only uses 1/4 tank most nights and sometimes doesn't seem like much at all.
So you can become your own expert and not need to rely on anyone, or at least be informed on what you need help with.
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 16 1,879 4 hours ago
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 377 11 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 33 Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,736 Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,315 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 548 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 126 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.