Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cramps [muscle]
Cramps [muscle]
In my other life (before cpap) I used to get bad cramps most nights was taking magnesium but still suffering but have not had them since beginning the masked life. I have read the thread about less toilet breaks and have benefited from that but have not seen anyone cured of night cramps.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cramps
Every time you have an obstructive apnea event, your body tenses. Your chest strains, your arms and legs may twitch, etc. all in an effort to wake you up to breathe. So, yeah, muscle cramps can happen. Now that you are on CPAP, the body isn't undergoing such exercise every night and the cramps are decreasing.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cramps
Hi Waz1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear your leg cramps have cleared up.
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cramps [muscle]
i had similar issue! and i took magnesium, and did massage, tried to stretch, no good!

it was pretty rough tbh, it was a big issue when i would go to the gym. it got to the point where i couldnt use any heavy weight because it would cause things to get so tight and uncomfortable. i thought i was just getting a bit older and my body wasnt built for that-depressing at early 30's

i went to a physiotherapist and he said hed never seen someone with muscles as tight as mine. it would sometimes feel even worse after i stretched! it was a real bummer, caused much discomfort.

my muscles dont feel like that much anymore thankfully!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cramps [muscle]
I have experimented quite a bit with hot or cold packs to keep muscles relaxed, especially if I’m having trouble sleeping.

Could you be dehydrated? This could definitely give you bad cramps.

Also, some sleep positions can give you bad cramps. I had to go to the ER with a cramp like a charley horse behind my shoulder blade, with nerve damage from the back to the finger tips. This went on for hours. Absolutely, pass out excruciating. The ERs response? “This is not good. Not good at all.” They eventually used IV valium to dissolve the cramp, but the nerve damage is permanent. It took them a while to figure out what to do, because they couldn’t access that spot; they had to rely on my assessment for the diagnosis. This all came about because I momentarily rolled onto my side while sleeping. I basically folded in half down the middle.

For leg cramps, also try using a pillow between or under the legs. For back and neck, make sure your head doesn’t dip. Try pillows under your elbows....

I now sleep with my elbows on pillows and my arms in a W position. It relaxes my back, and opens my lungs.

Try everything!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is anyone using any of these muscle stimulators for the throat? SleepFoo 0 493 10-19-2021, 10:50 PM
Last Post: SleepFoo
  NOCTURNAL LEG CRAMPS & OSA: A COUPLE OF ARTICLES Plmnb 4 1,068 12-21-2019, 11:25 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  5 years of muscle fatigue and no relief in sight David01 15 1,910 10-22-2019, 11:14 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Increased Muscle Acidity (Lactatic Acid) and Sleep Apnea Inspire 10 5,135 01-01-2018, 04:25 PM
Last Post: ardenum
Question Muscle Tone to Improve Apnea (OSA) catherinec 8 2,436 12-25-2017, 08:05 PM
Last Post: bspengler
  leg cramps SleepyBee 10 2,013 11-19-2016, 01:18 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  restlessness and muscle pains after a few hours sleep MaddMike 11 3,609 06-06-2015, 02:24 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.