Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Unsure
Humidifier: Resmed H51
CPAP Pressure: 7 and 14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Crazy Yawning
When I initially put on my mask and turn on my CPAP, I start yawning and yawning and yawning and yawning. You've got the picture. This is something new. I don't understand what's going on. Air is moving normally through the mask. If I take off the mask I'll stop yawning. Each night it seems to be getting worse...as in not just a couple of yawns, but then three or four yawns and now but over ten. I've been able to just get past it over the last week but last night I just had to get up for a 10-15 minutes and take a sleep aid and start over. I was able to get to sleep. Am I the only one to have experienced this?

Barbara
Ajijic, Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico
04-08-2015 11:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
sleepysteve Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Phillips resp series 1
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro 3-1-2015
Humidifier: Phillips Series 1
CPAP Pressure: 6.5; 17
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: Use Phillips Sleepmapper

Sex: Male

RE: Crazy Yawning
In my similar case my Physical Therapist (PT) was troubled with my yawning and asked if she was putting me to sleep; Others comment also - very embarrassing.

The PT was astute enough to quickly slap the clothespin thingee on my finger and measure my oxygen level and found it substantially deficient (needs to be 95 or higher, I am told). I found a R/T outside my dysfunctional DME who asked me to share the report from my SD card and subsequently advised me to raise my lower pressure setting to a specific level which I did and promptly stopped the yawning which is actually gasping for air.

That may or may not be your situation but I suggest you find a capable R/T who might interpret your report before changing anything, to review that.
04-09-2015 06:51 AM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Hilobarbie,
Agree, it could be a natural reflex to try to get more air.
Your starting pressure of 5 could be too low. Look at your pressure graph on SleepyHead and see where your pressure is 90% of the time. You may have to increase the lower number up to 6 or 7 and see if that solves the problem.
OpalRose

OpalRose
04-09-2015 07:35 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Hilobarbie Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Unsure
Humidifier: Resmed H51
CPAP Pressure: 7 and 14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(04-09-2015 06:51 AM)sleepysteve Wrote:  In my similar case my Physical Therapist (PT) was troubled with my yawning and asked if she was putting me to sleep; Others comment also - very embarrassing.

The PT was astute enough to quickly slap the clothespin thingee on my finger and measure my oxygen level and found it substantially deficient (needs to be 95 or higher, I am told). I found a R/T outside my dysfunctional DME who asked me to share the report from my SD card and subsequently advised me to raise my lower pressure setting to a specific level which I did and promptly stopped the yawning which is actually gasping for air.

That may or may not be your situation but I suggest you find a capable R/T who might interpret your report before changing anything, to review that.

I need to update my stats. My low pressure is 6, but I will definately up it to 7. Can't thank you enough for sharing.
(04-09-2015 07:35 AM)OpalRose Wrote:  Hilobarbie,
Agree, it could be a natural reflex to try to get more air.
Your starting pressure of 5 could be too low. Look at your pressure graph on SleepyHead and see where your pressure is 90% of the time. You may have to increase the lower number up to 6 or 7 and see if that solves the problem.
OpalRose

Thank you too for confirming low pressure observation. I'm below 14 95% of the time. I will update my profile.

Barbara
Ajijic, Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2015 09:29 AM by Hilobarbie.)
04-09-2015 09:26 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Insurance makes you CRAZY. DWaldman 19 2,150 10-15-2015 08:47 PM
Last Post: DWaldman
  Resmed A10 flapper valve driving me crazy masbirdies 21 3,316 07-01-2015 02:41 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  wife driving me crazy! JonRedland 18 3,266 04-28-2015 02:58 PM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
  Why are my clock times crazy on Res-Scan data? TheManseHen 9 1,744 01-20-2015 04:50 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Crazy Breathing Event (Waveform included) ScrewtapeJenkins 17 2,795 08-18-2014 01:00 PM
Last Post: bwexler
  Why does my Pressure and Leaks go crazy bwexler 12 2,596 07-30-2014 11:46 AM
Last Post: bwexler
  Am I crazy? SleepyDreamCatcher 8 1,748 06-14-2014 10:13 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2