Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Credit card fraud
Angry 
Recently my husband and I were the victims of credit card fraud...again. We do shop occasionally online and once in a while at local stores. Was just wondering if this happens multiple times to other people? It has happened 3 times this past year to us, one time we had just received the card, activated it and had never used it ourselves. We received a phone call from the fraud center asking if anyone in our household had used our card as there was questionable charges on the new card. This kind of fraudulent activity creates a whole new set of problems for us. I'm sure glad our credit union has the fraud department watching for this type of activity for its members.
Post Reply Post Reply
It has happened to me. The credit card companies must have some algorithm that detects a variation in ones spending pattern. They seem to catch it.
My banking cards never leave my safe unless I am going to the bank. I have a credit card that permits me to pull "virtual account numbers" online; for use online.

Credit card numbers are not so unique as the 16 digits would suggest. The first 6 numbers are the type of card and which bank it's on.

I would suggest that a high percentage of stolen CC numbers are from hacks or skimmers.
Such information is sold on the dark web.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: virtual account numbers

I like the sound of that - how does it work?

My bank is pretty much on the ball. It's got to the stage that I need to call them some months before going on a trip so that any prior spending (eg hotels, entertainment in foreign places) doesn't trigger their intervention.
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

I use a prepaid credit card with a low balance online. I load what i plan on spending before purchasing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I always get a replacement for all my credit cards (with a new number) every single year, no matter what, usually sometime in January.

Most credit card companies will allow you to get a replacement card once a year at no cost or penalty-- it's the same procedure for dealing with a lost or stolen card. I usually call them up and tell them that I've been making some internet purchases over the holidays and I'm concerned that my card might be compromised. They usually agree to cancel my card and send me a new one. Just make sure if you do that, time the cancellation when you won't need your card for 1-2 weeks, and make sure you don't have some auto-payments coming up on the card that you rely upon.

Using the same credit card number for years and years is an invitation for trouble.

Here in my city, there was also a rash of credit card fraud events due to criminals installing "skimmers" on local gas station pumps. If you do a search for "credit card skimmers", you can get a better idea of what to look for and how to spot a skimmer at a gas pump or ATM.

Oh, and if possible, use a credit card, not a debit card. Getting fraudulent charges off a credit card account is easier and less trouble than trying to get your bank to reverse a fraudulent charge on your debit card, which removes funds from your bank account immediately.

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
I wish the banking industry had never been permitted to use the ACH debit from checking accounts.
It used to require a signed check to pull money from a checking account. Now, your checking account number is vulnerable to hijack.

The terms of service for for many companies, Like AT&T are: "If you pay with a check, we will convert it to an ACH debit and destroy your check."

Post Reply Post Reply

(12-05-2016, 05:05 PM)justMongo Wrote: Credit card numbers are not so unique as the 16 digits would suggest. The first 6 numbers are the type of card and which bank it's on.

Anybody with decent math skills can also calculate the last digit of a credit card (the so-called check-digit) that is used to immediately validate the card number without going online. It is the first line of defense against random made-up card numbers and data transposition errors.

Like the man says, the dark net is full of evildoers who have access to stolen credit card information and even programs that can generate credit card numbers, bogus names and addresses, etc. -- all legally being sold as "test data generators."

If you use a commercial account credit card, be aware of the fact that the credit card protections that are offered to individuals may not be available to business account users.

Also, consider unlinking your savings account from your checking account on your ATM card. You do not want anyone to access ALL of your accounts if they manage to compromise your checking account.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2016, 06:13 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
Quote: virtual account numbers

I like the sound of that - how does it work?

The credit card company will generate a one-time use number for the transaction. So even if the web site got hacked, the number wouldn't be valid any longer. They are good to use on those items that say you *have* to join their auto-renew program. The number is no good after the first purchase so no auto-renew. :-)

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
I've had my CC compromised twice now but on both occasions my bank got onto it before any money went out of my account.

I like the idea of the virtual account numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply

(12-05-2016, 07:06 PM)pupcamper Wrote: I use a prepaid credit card with a low balance online. I load what i plan on spending before purchasing.

How does this work? I must admit I am not tech savvy as I am old enough to remember paying for everything with cash or you went without until you saved up enough money for whatever you wanted to buy.

We are still dealing with this credit card fraud thing. We went to our credit union, asked for a list of the transactions for the month of November and examined it. Someone in CA tried using it to the tune of $2200 so far. Since the card was canceled by the credit card company we don't anticipate finding any more charges on that card. It is not a pleasant experience and every time it happens I think of how foolish I am to be caught up in the fraudulent transactions. Sad

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross New Credit Score Model AlanE 2 438 04-21-2017, 04:24 PM
Last Post: bmicomp