Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Credit card fraud
My 2 cents worth- (1 cent per option);

1- Open an account at your regular bank, any account that offers a debit MC/V card. Tell the bank you do not want any of the overdraft protection on that account, and no other "nice" things they offer. Ie., no money in thee account = a decline. Using on line computer banking you can link the accounts so that only you can transfer funds between them. This is not the same as telling them you want account A to be paid by account B. It's also not the same as allowing that card to withdraw money from other accounts. You do not want that. You just want the ability to use your computer via on line banking to transfer funds. Then you leave this account with a $10 balance or some low amount. If and when you decide to buy something on line, just prior to checking out go to your on line banking tool, transfer in the funds you need, and pay. This results in a card that always has a low balance, so if it is ever hacked it can not compromise you or any other accounts. I have used this method for many years successfully. The key is in setting it up correctly.

2- Our local grocery stores sell many different denominations of Visa, MC, and Amex "Prepaid Gift Cards", these cards are one time use, no registration, no signup, not reloadable, you buy a $500 card and it costs $505.95 and that's all it's good for. No overdraft no other fees, no expiration of funds, all the benefits of a standard card regarding theft, fraud or loss. Then once done they're empty and no jeopardy of your real funds. You can buy them from $20-$500 in any amount. They are a little more inconvenient than option 1 but they work. Keep in mind these are true prepaid cards, not the type that can be reloaded, and need to be registered to someone prior to use. Those are different and not what you want.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2017, 02:25 PM)logansandres Wrote:
(12-05-2016, 07:06 PM)pupcamper Wrote: I use a prepaid credit card with a low balance online. I load what i plan on spending before purchasing.

Do you find it convivnient?

It is easy enough to use. Just be sure you can add funds online and/or use direct deposit. When I first got it I had a problem getting sites to use it until I figures out I had to put Valued Customer in the name field of the form (that's what's on the front of the card). Oh-jeez  Having said all of that, I'm considering opening another checking account to use online so it will be insured.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just be wary of any low-balance fees that banks might charge. Some banks charge if you have less than X dollars balance or deposit less than a certain amount per month or withdraw too much in a statement period or don't use direct deposit. They word it to make it confusing to the consumer and because of that, take great pride in raking in the charges. Or like one bank that has the name of the solar system's star and that you should "trust" them will word it in such a way that any could apply. You maintain the required balance but because you didn't deposit X dollars, they are charging you a "maintenance fee". Like they had to do anything different then if you did comply with the requirements. Also if you play the check floating game, they have gone to great lengths to write software to detect that and re-order the withdrawals and delay your deposits in such a way as to maximize the overdraft fees. but I digress...

If you are an old fart like me you might get monthly fees waved because of your age, or because you are a member of AARP.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

I disagree with the use of prepaid cards and some of these other methods. They are not convenient, and they offer no protection up to the limit of the card. If it gets hacked, the funds are gone with no recourse. Get a good card, put notifications in place so you know if it is being used, and if there is a problem, report it immediately and you will be protected.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had my debit hacked (before I stopped using it) and had my checking account wiped out. The bank returned the money to my account after a few days. Yes it was a pain but I got my money back. Pre-paid cards are okay for things like Subway. Wink

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
I was behind a younger guy in line at Walgreen's yesterday, and he paid for two candy bars with his credit card. Whatever happened to using cash for small purchases like that? Or am I so old that I don't know how young people operate these days?
Post Reply Post Reply

(01-26-2017, 11:17 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: I was behind a younger guy in line at Walgreen's yesterday, and he paid for two candy bars with his credit card.  Whatever happened to using cash for small purchases like that?  Or am I so old that I don't know how young people operate these days?

Have you seen the price of a candy bar these days? I use to buy a complete meal for that price. Big Grin
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
You have to have a cosigner just to buy a candy bar!
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2017, 01:39 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote:
(01-26-2017, 11:17 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: I was behind a younger guy in line at Walgreen's yesterday, and he paid for two candy bars with his credit card.  Whatever happened to using cash for small purchases like that?  Or am I so old that I don't know how young people operate these days?

Have you seen the price of a candy bar these days? I use to buy a complete meal for that price. Big Grin

No, I reckon I am too old to know that, can't remember the last time I purchased one.   Wink
Post Reply Post Reply

Remember when there was just a candy bar? Now there's a bite size, a fun size, a regular size, a share size, a save for later size. It's like just give me a candy bar for goodness sakes.

Cash?? What's that? Is that like an 8 track tape? Or a walkman......??

Article a few months ago said this is the last generation to grow up not knowing there wasn't an internet.... Can even laugh at some of the people who couldn't identify simple past objects.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross New Credit Score Model AlanE 2 441 04-21-2017, 04:24 PM
Last Post: bmicomp