Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Creepy Digital Ad Says a Chin Strap Is All You Need
Creepy Digital Ad Says a Chin Strap Is All You Need
No xPAP needed. Just buy this chin strap, and OSA is banished forever. And the price is just...$119. What a deal. It also looks suspiciously nearly identical to the $12 chin strap I saw on Amazon.

Good luck with that.

I do not have a link, but then you would not want one anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Creepy Digital Ad Says a Chin Strap Is All You Need
Tyrone,

The world is full of quacks, trust me. Just feel lucky you didn't fall into the trap and instead got the proper treatment. Woe-betide these hucksters.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2015, 04:19 PM)DocWils Wrote: Tyrone,

The world is full of quacks, trust me. Just feel lucky you didn't fall into the trap and instead got the proper treatment. Woe-betide these hucksters.

Where ya been Doc? Nice to read you again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Watch out Dr. Oz will probably be reccomending it next.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's right in his wheel house.

I don't often fall for something, especially something this blatantly idiotic. This item used by itself actually acts to help close the airway rather than keep it open, which means it could actually be harmful to OSA sufferers. They can't hang the CEO of this company high enough, IMHO.

It irks me that folks take advantage of the uninformed for three reasons: 1) I want folks to have a good experience and not get taken to the cleaners; 2) I want ME to have a good experience and not get taken to the cleaners, and being vigilant against that is a full-time job; 3) I would like to think that man's inhumanity to man is not as prevalent as it probably is.

I'm sure Dr. Oz has some good qualities and has helped some people, but that is not his singular motivation. Unfortunately he is probably representative of a lot of those in the med profession that are not as effective and helpful as they probably could be if their motivation were a bit more altruistic, but disregard that as it is only my uninformed opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2015, 04:32 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 04:19 PM)DocWils Wrote: Tyrone,

Where ya been Doc? Nice to read you again.

Sorry to have been away, for Orthopaedic docs in Switzerland, the period between November and Easter is hell, what with all the ski accidents we are are on continuous calls, and, since I am also an educational department head, we have the doctoral theses presentations and exams for the med students during this period as well - I am pretty well run off my feet this time of year and regularly pull 36 hour shifts or more, catching naps on my desk when I can (I am thinking of asking the hospital to buy me a Ekornes Stressless Magic office chair so I can catch a few Zs when I need it) - and I am getting too old for all this. I simply didn't have time to contribute to the forum, but I did do regular perusals to see if there was something that required my input as a medical professional, to correct a false assumption or so - fortunately, there are a lot of very smart and helpful people on this forum, so it was absolutely not necessary. Well done all, and I am impressed at the sampling of the well researched and informed answers I saw.
Post Reply Post Reply
Who is the Dr. Oz? Is he a real medical doctor? If so, what area of medicine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2015, 05:05 PM)DocWils Wrote: Who is the Dr. Oz? Is he a real medical doctor? If so, what area of medicine?

He practices TV Talk Show medicine.

From googleating his name - top line summary:

"Mehmet Cengiz Öz, also known as Dr. Oz, is a Turkish-American cardiothoracic surgeon, author, and television personality. Oz first appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show in 2004, and later on Larry King Live and other TV programs. " He now has his own show.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2015, 06:08 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 05:05 PM)DocWils Wrote: Who is the Dr. Oz? Is he a real medical doctor? If so, what area of medicine?

He practices TV Talk Show medicine.

From googleating his name - top line summary:

"Mehmet Cengiz Öz, also known as Dr. Oz, is a Turkish-American cardiothoracic surgeon, author, and television personality. Oz first appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show in 2004, and later on Larry King Live and other TV programs. " He now has his own show.

OMM

So now his specialty is quackery...

Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe a bit harsh, but there have been significant detractors to some of his advice, just in the last few months. Enough to possibly earn him that characterization, in fact.

I think the real problem is that the show is potentially harmful to those who have any hypochondriacal tendencies, or are overly gullible. This sort of behavior stands as an obstacle in the way of the meek as they attempt to inherit the earth, so I find it reprehensible if the advice is not well-vetted beforehand. If someone in his position also performs all of the required due diligence, then OK. But does he?

There is another daytime talk show, The Doctors, that I find questionable in much the same way. Radio personality Dr. Drew may also have some issues. Not that any of these people are sinister D-bags; they may all have nothing but the best of intentions, and even good qualifications. The problem is the lure of taking the easy way out and not vetting the information which is exactly that: a lack of due diligence; a 4-minute one-way talk about a medical issue on TV or radio does not even come close to replacing a dialogue with your real Dr., but sadly some folks might think the info is as valuable. It isn't.

But these guys also serve a purpose, which is to constantly remind us that doctors are not gods (except for Wills, of course), and they sometimes eff up and sometimes don't provide what they should. Question authority; don't be lulled by a framed diploma, or a guy wearing scrubs on a TV show for no real reason other than to elevate his assumed professional status with viewers, or just because he drapes a stethoscope around his neck for effect.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 594 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 362 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,098 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 491 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,534 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 111 6,170 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.