Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Critique Requested
Critique Requested
I've been a CPAP user since 2009 but since December 23 I went through a torturous 9 week period with first no CPAP then CPAP with wrong masks and then since March 1 CPAP with the right mask.

I've been using this forum for advice on getting optimum performance and my situation has improved by a vast amount and I am very happy.  I'm posting my SleepyHead stats today and asking for the many experienced and talented folks on this forum to offer any ideas they might have on how to get my situation to perfection.

[attachment=4749]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Critique Requested
I'd say you need to work on the leaks according to your chart.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
And I'd be very happy with an AHI of 0.78!
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't trust a AHI of 0.78 with Large Leaks 47% of the night.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm seeing pressure of 8.0 to 11.0 with EPR 1 resulting in less than 1 AHI. The flow limitations are pushing pressure to the maximum setting, and would likely force higher pressure than would be effective or comfortable without the upper limit of 11.0. It will go as high as you allow. This appears to be an effective solution for you, and the leaks , while above the desirable level, are acceptable.

I'd like to see leaks improve, but I don't see that significantly affecting the reported results. The honest truth is, you can use autoset mode, or just go to a fixed pressure of 11 with 1 EPR and get the same or better results. Whatever mask you're using, I'd suggest you change it or find a solution to the leaks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You really seem to be getting the hang of this judging by your numbers.  Good to see you taking matters into your own hands.  A couple things jumped out at me.

1. Your events occur most in the final hours of sleep.  That means your apnea is probably REM sensitive.  The majority of the REM sleep occurs in the last hours of the night. There is not much you can do about that, but just letting you know in case you stress about what is different about that time.
  2. You have more RERAs than apneas.  This is common with people diagnosed UARS.  (Fancy acronym for saying you have more RERAs than apneas). If your sleep study was primarily OSA, than you don't have UARS.  If RERAs were the bigger problem, than you do.  Most people with UARS have a narrow throat.  This is important to know when treating apnea.  Long story short, purchase a firm soft cervical collar from Walmart.  3" minimum.  Wear it at night and see if your RDI gets better.  (RDI is AHI+RERAs)  By holding your head steady and slightly elevating your chin, the c-collar opens the throat wider.  
Good Luck
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2018, 06:36 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I wouldn't trust a AHI of 0.78 with Large Leaks 47% of the night.

Where do you see the 47% number?

The leak rate soared from previous and the only thing changed was that Min Pressure was increased from 4 to 8.  Does it make sense that that would explain it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Look to the left of your flow charts, under statistics you'll see time over redline 47.070%. Anything over 24ml/min is considered a large leak on the ResMed machines. If you go to the bottom of your charts and turn the flag on for LL you'll get a grayed out area on your event chart showing large leaks.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2018, 07:43 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm seeing pressure of 8.0 to 11.0 with EPR 1 resulting in less than 1 AHI.  The flow limitations are pushing pressure to the maximum setting, and would likely force higher pressure than would be effective or comfortable without the upper limit of 11.0.  It will go as high as you allow. This appears to be an effective solution for you, and the leaks , while above the desirable level, are acceptable.

I'd like to see leaks improve, but I don't see that significantly affecting the reported results.  The honest truth is, you can use autoset mode, or just go to a fixed pressure of 11 with 1 EPR and get the same or better results.  Whatever mask you're using, I'd suggest you change it or find a solution to the leaks.

The mask I'm using now is by far the best of the 4 masks I've used over the last 6 weeks.  The improvement has been dramatic.

But the leak rate was much, much lower when Pmin was at 4.  Like 4-5 rather than 10 to nearly 60.  So tonight I will set Pmin to 6 and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2018, 08:18 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Look to the left of your flow charts, under statistics you'll see time over redline 47.070%. Anything over 24ml/min is considered a large leak on the ResMed machines. If you go to the bottom of your charts and turn the flag on for LL you'll get a grayed out area on your event chart showing large leaks.

Thanks, Walla.  I see the 47% now.  And I've turned on the LL flag.  Thanks for the pointers.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advise requested: Should I LOWER my pressure? Aknakon 21 1,134 12-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  F&P Evora Full - Feedback Requested Columbiabill 10 945 10-04-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  RECOMMENDATION REQUESTED - LIGHT THERAPY srlevine1 0 350 07-23-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  looking for a critique? senior members? advise? please help Dchurch 2 507 03-28-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Dchurch
  Settings Improvements Requested bcurtiswx 4 428 02-17-2023, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Melman
  OSCAR review requested lvl0rg4n 1 499 12-04-2022, 08:18 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Post-radiation changes... help requested REMember 44 2,620 06-05-2022, 03:26 PM
Last Post: REMember

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.