Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cruising with CPAP
RE: Cruising with CPAP
Please don not use a Surge protector on a Cruise ship as they are dangerous on marine electrical systems.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2014, 01:23 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: I know there are several posts on this, but the search didn't bring anything up. My wife and I will be going on a cruise from Montreal to Boston this summer (as part of a longer trip) and of course I will be bringing my machine. I am trying to make sure I think of everything (even though I have already traveled extensively with my machine). I am not worried about the water as I can request distilled when I get on the ship.

Here are the extras I normally carry already:

1. Surge protector (already use one at the house)
2. 12 foot extension cord (grounded)
3. Spare filters (micro and foam)
4. Roll of vinyl tape (great for emergency hose repair)
5. Copy of script
6. Medical device tag on bag

I will most likely break out the new mask just before I leave to avoid that issue.

Any other ideas?

Yeah, if you go to a Red Sox game bring your CPAP device, just in case you fall asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Old thread, so may not be useful, but:

1. No surge protectors on ships of any kind. Will not work and can, and have, caused fires.
2. Most cruise lines do not permit extension cords of any kind, even short ones that are commonly used for USB chargers. 

If either #s 1 or 2 are found they are likely to be confiscated and only returnrd to you at the end of the cruise. Each cruise line has its own rules, but surge protectors are highly not recommended by the USCG and are of special concern. 

Every line that we have been on have a "Special Needs" form available online where you can ask for an extension cord and distilled water for CPAP machines, and for about any other special need you may have.
Post Reply Post Reply
We cruised through the Panama Canal in March.  Holland America's room stewards had no problems with my use of a personal extension cord for my PAP.  I didn't bring a surge protector, though, so it was not a consideration.
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny, when we took our cruise several years ago the cruise line recommended the surge protector. Also the electric scooter my wife rented had a surge unit on the charger line. Not sure if it was a special one for the boat or not. We had no problem with them providing the water, however they were out of extension cords. Also, when I got up in the morning I picked everything up and stowed it in one of the closets. 

Homer
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2019, 11:30 PM)mesenteria Wrote: We cruised through the Panama Canal in March.  Holland America's room stewards had no problems with my use of a personal extension cord for my PAP.  I didn't bring a surge protector, though, so it was not a consideration.

Understand. Celebrity, for example, very specifically calls out extension cords as prohibited and many have reported that theirs have been confiscated. That said, I carried in my CPAP bag carry on with an extension cord (for pre-cruise hotel only), and it was ignored both times (two cruises). Had to have been in plain view when my CPAP bag went through the x-ray machines. 

It is not worth taking a chance on it being confiscated so I always request one via a submitted "Special Needs" form. Funny, but Celebrity always return with a reply saying "OK, will provide cord and distilled water." One of our Princess cruises replied that our sailing was out of cords so advised that we bring my own. MSC Cruises replied that they don't supply either cords or distilled water and suggested that I bring my own. When we arrived in our MSC cabin, both were already there. Did have to ask the Butler/Cabin attendant to tape it down.

One Celebrity cruise I had to ask for their cord to be taped down. A couple of days later, there was a hand towel placed over the cord which covered nearly all of the exposed cord. Not exactly a big help. but it worked out fine.

Surge protectors are really a hit or miss proposition. Even though the USCG has issued warnings about the dangers of surge protectors on ships, the last time I checked many of the cruise lines "do not pack" lists, Carnival was the only one that called them out as prohibited. Others did not mention them even though there have many reports of anything that even looks like it may contain a surge protector have been confiscated at the embarkation pier. Watch out for small USB cube chargers, many contain surge protectors and will likely be confiscated. If bringing a power charging strip of any kind on board, I would recommend that you also carry documentation from the manufacturer that specifically say "no surge protectors". I have noticed recently that some even say "cruise ship safe". It really upsets some that they cannot bring enough chargers and supplies on board to recharge all their USB equipment. This has not been a problem for us. One solution offered is to bring 220VAC adapters on board that can add some additional outlets since nearly all ships have 120 & 220 VAC outlets. If anyone is interested, below is a link to the USCG's "Marine Safety Alert" bulletin about surge protectors. (I think that this is a legal link since it is to a US Government site.) 

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO%2...082206-293
Post Reply Post Reply
I recall now, to be truthful, that the pre-boarding instructions for HA did state that we would be provided with extension cords once we boarded if we needed one, and that we were NOT to use our own.  Sorry...memory ain't what it used to be.  However, while our luggage was being placed on the bed, I mentioned that I needed an extension cord for my machine, and waved the one I had bought at my wise wife's insistence.  The gentleman smiled and said to use what I brung.  So, I did. 

I did not remove my device each morning.  I made sure to carefully route the two cords, extension and power cord, around the very periphery of the room so that it would be quite unlikely to be stepped on or to trip a steward.  I wrapped the hose and mask atop the machine and displaced the appliance away from the bed as far as I could on the table surface next to the headboard.  That worked well.
Post Reply Post Reply
just my thought,,,
if your Resmed machine resembles mine it has a two pin electrical plug. no ground and the power brick eats all 100-240/50-60.
ON a side note, I cut mine down to 30cm.
Just saying lighter cord can be okay for the machine..
Have a fine trip.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsup 13 Months and Cruising Jim Bronson 3 1,876 12-04-2015, 12:34 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.