Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cruising with CPAP
Cruising with CPAP
I know there are several posts on this, but the search didn't bring anything up. My wife and I will be going on a cruise from Montreal to Boston this summer (as part of a longer trip) and of course I will be bringing my machine. I am trying to make sure I think of everything (even though I have already traveled extensively with my machine). I am not worried about the water as I can request distilled when I get on the ship.

Here are the extras I normally carry already:

1. Surge protector (already use one at the house)
2. 12 foot extension cord (grounded)
3. Spare filters (micro and foam)
4. Roll of vinyl tape (great for emergency hose repair)
5. Copy of script
6. Medical device tag on bag

I will most likely break out the new mask just before I leave to avoid that issue.

Any other ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cruising with CPAP
Hi Homerec130,
Sounds like you have got it together. Hang in there for more suggestions and have a nice cruise.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a fairly long trip. Do you need to take any special cleaning supplies with you?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I was told that cruise lines will not let you use your own extension cord, but I checked [link removed] and no one seemed to have a problem. You may want to double check with your cruise line though.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
To ease your use of the ship's electrical system you'll need to get a set of Travel Adapter Plugs. I learned this the hard way: On our first cruise, the only standard, North American sockets were over the desk area and the ship provided an ugly, heavy duty extension cord to run across the room to the bed.

You should be able to get them at your favorite appliance store or from Amazon; a set is usually less than $10.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2014, 01:23 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: My wife and I will be going on a cruise from Montreal to Boston this summer...

You'd miss all that heat of a Tucson summer for the cool Atlantic?

I would guess that you will fly to your embarkation point. Pack your unit for flight. May I suggest you take two masks and pack them in separate bags. In case one gets broken by baggage handlers.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Justmongo - good thought, but not worried about baggage handlers as I will be hand carrying the machine myself in a padded case that works quite well. The mask goes into it's own bag (from my original machine) and the hose actually helps to keep everything in place. In addition, my wife's meds are in their own case and travel with it.

I hadn't thought about the plug converter, but will go through my old travel stuff and grab one. Already talked to the cruise line and they have no problem with the cord. Don't consider it a big deal as I will stash the machine when we are not in the cabin.

We will be at "sea" for 7 days and the rest of the trip we will be with family so I am not worried about cleaning supplies. I usually clean my mask in the shower anyway so that won't be a problem. 'The hose I will do in the sink. Most likely just before and after the cruise portion and then swap everything out when we get home.

Thanx all for the inputs. I pretty much thought of most of this, but I also look at it for someone who has never travelled with the hose before as to what they need to think of.

Post Reply Post Reply
I did this a while back after I returned from a trip. I need to see if any of it has changed.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...for-travel

My only additional advice is to take extra filters in case there is a smell you need to get rid of. That's been my number one issue while traveling. The filters are small and don't take up much room so take plenty. In my opinion.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good call on the flat head extension cord. I'll have to dig one of those out.
Post Reply Post Reply
The extension cord is a good idea. Some of the older ships do not have outlets at the sides of the bed, just a set of various outlets at the desk. Your cord means the cabin steward does not have to track one down for your use.

WhirledKruzer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsup 13 Months and Cruising Jim Bronson 3 1,876 12-04-2015, 12:34 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.