Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Crunchy, plastic noise from air pillows
Crunchy, plastic noise from air pillows
Hi, all!

I've been using a CPAP for close to a month. Last night, in the middle of the night, I started getting a crunchy plastic noise from the SwiftFX nose pillows when I inhaled. Kind of like the sound you would get if you were to crunch and release a cottage cheese container. Loud enough, and annoying enough, that I stopped using the CPAP for the remainder of the night.

Has anyone else experienced this noise? Any suggestions on how to eliminate the noise?

Thanks!!!! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Crunchy, plastic noise from air pillows
New one on me.
Usually odd noises that start up from nowhere mean something got into your breathing circuit.
Did you visually check all your hoses and connectors with a bright light?
Your cat hasn't been gnawing on anything etc?

Good luck!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2015, 10:28 AM)Sunrise08 Wrote: Hi, all!

I've been using a CPAP for close to a month. Last night, in the middle of the night, I started getting a crunchy plastic noise from the SwiftFX nose pillows when I inhaled. Kind of like the sound you would get if you were to crunch and release a cottage cheese container. Loud enough, and annoying enough, that I stopped using the CPAP for the remainder of the night.

Has anyone else experienced this noise? Any suggestions on how to eliminate the noise?

Thanks!!!! Thanks

Sounds a lot like condensation in the hose and/or mask -- even a small amount of excess moisture can cause quite a racket. Things to consider:

What are your humidifier settings?
Are you using a heated hose? It helps prevent excess moisture.
Location of machine -- best to have it lower than your head to keep excess moisture running back down toward the machine instead of down toward your mask.
Temperature and humidity of the room you sleep in can also affect condensation in the hose.

There may be other things I can't think of at the moment. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
It could be a fluttering of the pillows wall or seal that is not good. It can also happen when you inhale faster than the machine pressure delivers air, or possibly when the materials in the nasal pillow begin to deteriorate and become too soft. I think I have experienced this in the past with the FX. Wash the nasal pillow in a mild dish soap and dry. Don't add any lotions. Be sure hose is dry and don't overfill humidifier. If that doesn't work, consider switching to auto mode and leaving minimum pressure at 6, but allow maximum pressure to increase. Does it feel like you are pulling for air when it happens?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, everyone, for the input! I did notice that there seemed to be more moisture in the pillows and hose, so that might account for it. I'll see how it goes tonight and report back.

Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had this happen when the humidifier got ahead of itself. Turn it down a notch or two, or if you have a heated hose, tuen that up a few degrees and see it that helps. It really is a quite annoying sound!

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,781 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,298 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 147 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 394 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,604 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 400 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.