Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Recommendations to optimize settings
Recommendations to optimize settings
Hi there.  This is my first post here.  From what I've read so far, this is an awesome community.

I've been using CPAP for months without much success.  The AHI numbers are "great", but I anticipated feeling better than I do.  I feel fine, but I also felt fine before CPAP.

I've tried playing with the pressure settings.  I've tried constant pressures, APAP without EPR, and APAP with EPR.  I get similar AHIs with everything I try, but it seems that APAP with EPR gives me the best flow limitations and inspiration curves.

One other thing I noticed: My inspiration time is always greater than expiration time.  Not sure if that makes a difference for settings recommendations. 

Hoping someone can offer tips to optimize the settings. I've posted the past 3 nights.  The first two have a pressure range between 6-11 while the third has a range between 7-11. 

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recommendations to optimize settings
Welcome to the forum!

Your settings appear to be about right, I would stay at 7 min for now. I would not to use the ramp if possible and set your machine Response to Normal.
I am not an expert...just a long time user.
Post Reply Post Reply
100% agree with Old Steve. You tend to have flow limits build up until the machine delivers above 7.0 cm pressure then they abate. Rinse and repeat over and over. You need a minimum pressure of 7.0.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for the advice.  I'll keep min pressure at 7.0 and change the response to normal. I'll post the results after a few nights of sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi again.

I have been using the settings discussed above and I'm still seeing flow limitations.  I also feel the same during the day as before. I have attached screen grabs of the past two nights sleep.

I have also attached a 3-minute flow rate screen grab. The inhalation curves are not smooth, which from my readings on the site indicate flow limitation.  Yet the flow limit chart shows 0.  Is it possible flow limit is occurring even though the flow limit chart shows 0?

Any other optimization suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
You might try setting your minimum pressure to 8cm and see if that helps some.
I am not an expert...just a long time user.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there,

I've changed the min pressure to 8 and slept with it for many nights.  It hasn't really helped.  I have attached charts from the past 2 nights plus a zoomed in flow rate chart.

I've been reading a lot of posts trying to learn from the amazing community.  Below are some things I noticed.  I don't know exactly what they imply or if/how to address them.  
  1. The zoomed in flow rate shows many class 2, 4, and 7 inspiratory flow shapes.  At the same time, the flow limit chart shows 0.
  2. Inspiration time is always greater than expiration time
  3. Tidal volume (seems) low. My IBW is 91, but the median tidal volume is consistently below 500.
I'm hoping someone can offer more tweaks to help my treatment.  And, if possible, explain the impact of my observations (for my education).

As a side note, I've tried sleeping several nights without CPAP.  I generally feel the same when I wake up, but I get tired later in the evening.  So far, it doesn't look like CPAP is benefiting me at all.

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Your zoomed chart shows a lot of abnormal artifacts. I think your I:E times are incorrect and the machine is being fooled by a relatively fast return to zero flow ahead of inspiration trigger, but there are a couple cardiogenic oscillations that make the machine think inspiration has started https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...cillations so it counts a long inspiration time. I think it would be interesting to see the mask pressure under the flow rate graph to see how your CPAP is responding to these. In this case mask pressure is much more useful than pressure.

You are correct the inspiration peaks have varying types of obstruction / flow limitation and that is messing with your sleep a lot more than your flow limitation or AHI statistic might suggest. Tidal volume, respiration rate and minute vent seem to be in a normal range for what we see in Oscar results, but I suspect you're around 6-feet tall similar to myself, and my Vt is in the 600s and Vm is 9 to 10 L/min. Your challenge in Canada is going to be getting your hands on a bilevel like the Aircurve 10 Vauto to do something about it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have attached a new chart that shows mask pressure from last night.

I'm approx 6.5 feet tall.   Based on your numbers then, my tidal volume and minute ventilation are very low.  Aside from bilevel, can you recommend any setting changes to try?

Thanks for helping.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,223 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,337 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 585 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 246 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Smile pleasse help me optimize my APAP pressure settings Swsch2985 2 363 01-14-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.