Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Curious to know average life of a mask before breaking down?
Curious to know average life of a mask before breaking down?
AS of about May 12th this year when I was first diagnosed and then actually decided to try it all out, I started wearing the Quattro Air Full Face Mask.

I also have a second one that is brand new and still in its packaging but I am putting off using it until i feel this first one is completely done and not wearable anymore.

I have dry skin, not oily at all.
So I shower in the morning and admittedly I do not wash my face before bed as I try to avoid taking soap to my skin unless i need it.
I now wonder if that was a mistake, at least as far as the mask latex goes.

This is why.....

2 weeks ago I tried a chin strap for the first time. It didn't work. I put it on under my face mask so the extra wraps would keep the chin strap in place.

The next night although I think it must just be a coincidence since i can't see how the chin strap would have ruined my face mask, I have begun to leak air for the first time.

From may 12th to that night 2 weeks ago, I had a perfect fitting mask that never leaked and I went to sleep for a full 8 hours perfectly each night.

2 weeks ago I started to wake up thinking i had moisture on my face but half asleep it took me another night or two to realize it wasn't moisture but likely bubbles of air sort of running across my cheeks.

Then I began to wake up once a night hearing what sounded like a farting sound and it was the mask leaking.....LOL.......hard to not laugh when you hear it.

Then it just started whooshing out for a second here or there if i even turned a fraction of an inch or so....or rushing into the corner of my eye 1x or 2x waking me up when it did.
( i generally seem to sleep in one position all night on my back and don't move)

My AHI is still under 5 every night but the leaking which was once a straight line at the bottom is now up and down all over the place although only 1, 2 times a night over the line.

In the process of tightening the mask, even though i know its better to be loose, finding that wouldn't work and then loosening and finding that didn't work either and going back and forth, I ended up with a horrible cut along the bridge of my nose that was red and very sore and became aggravated on the second night. Purchased a gel thingy for the nose by Resmed although it doesn't really stick well to the cheek bones as the picture shows but it allowed the cut to heal.

While wearing it for 3 nights, I had also been given a few testers of those mask liners I see people talking of here but they only had large and i have a small to medium face but I still tried.

Admittedly with those 2 things on the mask no longer leaked BUT I suddenly became for the first time a bit claustrophobic although I don't know why I did.
But i also found that my nose was stuffing up.
I had been using a nasal rinse every night and it was clear all night long ever night but with these two extra things on my face, I don't know if the pressure was too much on my nose or not but it felt as if i could not either fully breathe properly and/or one time it became very stuffed up like this so I had to take the mask off to breathe, or feel as if i were.....

I guess it was partly my mistake as I did try these liners without cutting them down and found that the leaking kept blowing corners of the liner too close to my eye and bothered me.
Tonight i will try cutting off the extra material and see how that goes.

BUT.....since i seem to have to be going though all of this just to keep the ask from leaking before opening up my new one I would like to know what the average amount of time people find that their masks work perfectly without leaking, etc before all these other things start to happen?

I am guessing that the latex must be breaking down? Its not as firm on my face as it originally was i am guessing..........and all that i have described is normal from the breaking down process?

Granted as i said earlier, I don't wash my face nightly but in the morning but might have to start IF that is causing the problem but my face is not nor do I have any oil problems with my skin..........no pimples, or anything of the kind nor ever have in my life so if anything moisturizer would be put on my skin but I haven't because I felt it would ruin the latex.............

Is it possible that the latex on these masks are really only just good for about 4 months ONLY????

TIA
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Curious to know average life of a mask before breaking down?
No one knows the average amount of time since they used a mask for the first time, until it started to break down?
Post Reply Post Reply
My Airfit P10 lasted at least 6 months, with some signs of wear but worked fine until the dog chewed on it. It still got by for another week until a new one arrived (she also ate my new mask and destroy it so they are NOT dog proof.)

If your mask is breaking down in under 3 months that should be cause for replacement -- most insurance companies let you have another in 3 months so they should last this long.

Also note, my insurance company made an exception to the "3 month rule" when I called them and reported my mask unusable (another early mask, not a P10) so do consider actually asking if you have insurance but are told by the DME you can't have another yet.

Headgear is supposed to last about 6 months (according to most insurance plans.)

My stupid local DME can't figure out how to sell me a P10 at 3 months since they have to include the BUILT IN headgear and don't know how to bill for it.

I just switch DMEs each 3 months and the insurance company is happy to buy the new mask (even though the headgear is included.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
My Nuance pro started to fall apart in the 6th month. just started on a P10.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get a new mask and headgear every three months. They come assembled in a factory sealed package. My prior system had a nasal mask and that lasted almost a year. I never received a replacement from them and found out the reason they weren't answering any of my correspondence was they liquidated. I have noticed that the webbing on my current mask (whatever I have listed on my profile) starts to show wear and loss of functionality at about the 8 week point. At this point I have to keep tightening the mask to cut down the leaks. I do wipe out the mask daily and clean it and the hose on a regular basis. I figure if the daily wipeout worked for my oxygen mask when I was flying for Uncle Sam, it will work for this.

Over the past couple of years I managed to end up with a factory sealed extra mask assembly which gets rotated out with the new mask comes in. The new mask goes into the box and then is used when the next one comes in. I have at least one extra hose and plenty of filters.

Best thing is to find out what your insurer will allow you to do. If you need more, ask for it. They worst they can do is say no (or charge you for more). If you are really in a bind you can try one of the suppliers on the list, send in a copy of your script (you do have a copy I hope) and pay out of pocket. My 10 foot hose cost me right around $20 delivered.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2014, 08:48 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: AS of about May 12th this year when I was first diagnosed and then actually decided to try it all out, I started wearing the Quattro Air Full Face Mask.

I also have a second one that is brand new and still in its packaging but I am putting off using it until i feel this first one is completely done and not wearable anymore.
. . .

Is it possible that the latex on these masks are really only just good for about 4 months ONLY????

Sure, it's possible.

I got an Airfit P10. It lasted about 2 weeks before the elastic was all stretched out and the little side pieces wouldn't stay in place. I won't be buying another one.

My big ugly ADAM Circuit with silicone pillows is going on 2 years now, although I did need to replace the Velcro stuff after a while.

The new masks seem to be designed to sell new masks. The older designs seemed to be much sturdier.

Terry

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a FitLife going on about 18 months now, the silicone seal is still good and I have worn out a set of straps.
Leaks are going to be an ongoing thing.
I have been having good success with the Skin Tac wipes.
They are actually for ostomy applications so they have to be good on sensitive skin.
It just puts down a light rosen layer that is sticky and it works well at preventing leaks and blow outs that
will wake you up.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Masks made for sale in the USA are supposed to last 3 months. I say that because that's the Medicare replacement schedule and most insurance companies follow it.

People routinely report getting a lot more use out of them. The one I'm using now is wearing out as the internal hose is loose. I've been using it for about 10 months. The straps stretch and have to be tightened, and that happens more often if you wash the straps regularly.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While we are on the subject of how long people get out of their FF masks, could I ask
how long people are getting from their nasal pillows please?

I use P10 pillows and only seem to get about 2 months before the leaks start in force, I would be interested to know the average for other other pillow users.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
I MUST say that I am pretty shocked to read all of these answers. But thank you. It confirms what I feared. Not that i need to worry as mine are all covered by insurance every 6 months and I have a brand new, still sealed Quattro Air which I will soon open up and start to use.
Plus I have a Wisp Nasal Mask still sealed, but i will never use that one, unfortunately since I had to finally give up on nasal masks working for me, so I do have extra masks, nor need to worry.

Also, the hubby was prescribed an S9 Escape (Block) which is brand new never used, plus he gets a new mask every 6 months if he wants one so I could just as easily get his as well. But i don't like to do that but my morals about doing so might go out the window as soon as i need one Smile

BUT I AM SHOCKED they only last this long.....a few months.

I feel very badly for anyone on fixed incomes, low incomes, etc; that must replace them that often, at $100-$200 a pop. Sad

Thanks for the answers. At least I now understand that what I am experiencing is normal.

Although i doubt there is a connection, the irony is that I was just washing my mask occasionally with a damp cloth.
The day of the night I first felt any of these problems I had purchased a well known container of the mask wipes from a store dealing with only CPAP products. I'd hate to think that these wipes might do more harm then good??!!

Quote:My Nuance pro started to fall apart in the 6th month. just started on a P10.

Not sure of the cost of yours, but apparently my mask is around the $200 and IF I had to pay for it, I'd be furious.
At this rate of failure, they should not cost any more than perhaps $40-$50 /sighs

Quote: I have a FitLife going on about 18 months now, the silicone seal is still good and I have worn out a set of straps.

Funnily enough my bro-in-law has been using his first mask, the same as mine, the Quattro Air as well for the past 18 months and swears it was fine. I happened to have 2 extra new ones I had not yet opened and he asked me for one since he does have to pay cash for his, and i gave it to him...........but I am now very surprised his lasted that long. He has been complaining of not feeling great, even 18 months later. I have looked at his numbers since he did not know how to read them, and although i am not great at reading them, I am better than he and don't see anything wrong, and his numbers are below 5 AHI but I think I better go bad now and double check his leak rate after hearing everyone else say that 4-5 months seemed to be the norm...as I can't imagine after 18 months that it hasn't started to break down and start to leak.

Quote: Masks made for sale in the USA are supposed to last 3 months. I say that because that's the Medicare replacement schedule and most insurance companies follow it.

I am REALLY starting to understand the disrespect shown DMEs more and more......these prices are disgusting for materials that only last 3 months. [/quote]

THANKS AGAIN...........Now I understand that its normal and unfortunately, acceptable to assume......Although I get mine paid for, I HATE to see our health care system here in Canada abused and I think its usually doctors and such that abuse it the worst.... ;(

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 399 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,112 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Average AHI vs deep sleep stage AHI question BezDuh 4 585 01-24-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 Reptile 13 12,261 01-21-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 459 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti
  Airsense 10 end of life JamesW 3 623 12-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  [Treatment] interpreting data: curious wakeup followed by lots of apneas doodat 12 1,159 11-04-2023, 12:10 PM
Last Post: doodat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.