Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Suddenly mouth breathing after 12months on CPAP
Suddenly mouth breathing after 12months on CPAP
I have been using my CPAP for over 12 months. Didn't have any issues with it and have come to rely on it for a good night of sleep.

About two weeks ago I had some surgery, and have found ever since I have been waking up throughout the night - horribly dry throat and mouth and have realised I am opening my mouth and air blowing out. Once I even thought I was sleeptalking?!?!?

Mouth breathing has never been an issue for me other than a couple of times I had headcold. Has anyone esle experienced this after a period of use or is it just me?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Suddenly mouth breathing after 12months on CPAP
For whatever reason your jaw is relaxing more and causing your mouth to open. You may need to use a chin strap for awhile, or even for longer. The idea of a chinstrap is to encourage the jaw to stay shut when relaxed. So don't crank down on it too much. It's just a gentle reminder to keep the mouth shut. It may be, since you haven't needed this in the past, that you will not need to use the chinstrap for too long. You'll just have to see how that goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you still on any sort of medication from the surgery?

Also, the older we are, the longer it takes for our bodies to kick out the anesthesia. So it could just be your body (and brain, mostly) is still dopey. I agree with RG that wearing a chin strap for a while is a good idea.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your replies.

I think the main issue was that I was not sleeping in my normal position. Normally a side/stomach sleeper and have been sleeping on my back for the last couple of weeks.

As I've been able to sleep on my side the mouthbreathing has decreased significantly.

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,178 Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Jorgo
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 41 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 388 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,819 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 320 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,082 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.