Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: How often do you replace mask cushions?
This poll is closed.
Monthly
7.41%
2 7.41%
Every other Month
14.81%
4 14.81%
Quarterly
25.93%
7 25.93%
Every 6 months
7.41%
2 7.41%
Longer than every 6 months
44.44%
12 44.44%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Cushion Change Frequency
Cushion Change Frequency
I think most of us believe that the recommended replacement intervals for CPAP components are specified to maximize the profits of the suppliers and limitation of liability, not for the benefit of the patients. I've been surprised, however by how long mine have lasted without any problems. I have been using my original AirFit F20 mask and cushion, for example, since early March 2017. The silicone on the cushion is slightly discolored as compared with an unused replacement but it seals as well as when new and may be even more comfortable. The mask frame itself is like new. I'm hardly fanatical about cleaning. I clean the mask and cushion with mild detergent and warm water 2 or 3 time a week and wipe facial oils off the cushion daily with a baby wipe. I've only changed hoses once in the 2 years I've had the Airsesense 10 and that was just because I switched to a heated hose. The Resmed humidifier chambers seem to develop slight leaks after 9 months to a year so I've changed that once. I see no evidence of microbial growth or noticed any odors. I not recommending that everyone go to such long change intervals since our circumstances and equipment may be different. It appears, however, that most if not all of us may realize substantial savings with no risk if we consider longer change intervals.

To keep this simple, how frequently do you change your mask cushions? Any comments are welcome, even if you tell me I'm crazy [img=31x15]file:///C:\Users\mroth\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.png[/img]
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cushion Change Frequency
P10 pillows 6 weeks to 2 months. Air touch. 2 months seems to be the average. AirFit I guess when you buy a new mask.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW my AirFit F20 cushion was retired at 13 months only because I used the new one while on an overnight in hospital. Old cushion still in very good shape. I personally think the old one seals better with age.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Airfit F20 is about 83 days old. I clean it every day with anti-bacterial wipes. It still seals fine from what I can tell. I have a new one in the packaging that was sent to me a few weeks ago. 

My used one still looks as good as the new one. I'm hoping to get six months of use out of it before I get the new one out. By then, I should have a few on hand, if my DME sends them as scheduled.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal pillows, every 4 to 6 weeks.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2018, 05:59 PM)Big Guy Wrote: My Airfit F20 is about 83 days old. I clean it every day with anti-bacterial wipes. It still seals fine from what I can tell. I have a new one in the packaging that was sent to me a few weeks ago. 

My used one still looks as good as the new one. I'm hoping to get six months of use out of it before I get the new one out. By then, I should have a few on hand, if my DME sends them as scheduled.

If your DME is sending them as scheduled I assume you have at least a copay for each. If your changing them out less frequently you may want to change the shipment frequency and save a few $$$. My DME sends nothing automatically. I get a phone call each month and usually disappoint them by saying I don't need anything. The last caller tried to scare me by mentioning risk of infection and asking if my mask and hose had a bad smell, LOL.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
They last a lot longer than they say they do. I got into trouble for using my last Nasal Pillows for over two years, but they were still as good as new.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2018, 07:06 PM)Melman Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 05:59 PM)Big Guy Wrote: My Airfit F20 is about 83 days old. I clean it every day with anti-bacterial wipes. It still seals fine from what I can tell. I have a new one in the packaging that was sent to me a few weeks ago. 

If your DME is sending them as scheduled I assume you have at least a copay for each. If your changing them out less frequently you may want to change the shipment frequency and save a few $$$. My DME sends nothing automatically. I get a phone call each month and usually disappoint them by saying I don't need anything. The last caller tried to scare me by mentioning risk of infection and asking if my mask and hose had a bad smell, LOL.

My DME doesn't call me. They just automatically send me the equipment on schedule. I do have a co-pay, but it's small. 

I figure I'll stock up on what is vital. Once I feel it's adequate, I'll call them and advise that I'll let them know what I need.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2018, 02:40 PM)Melman Wrote: ... I'm hardly fanatical about cleaning. I clean the mask and cushion with mild detergent and warm water 2 or 3 time a week and wipe facial oils off the cushion daily with a baby wipe...

I'm even less fanatical.  I clean my items about a quarter as often as you, and I'm still using all original items since commencing PAP in December last year.  I have changed he filters twice, but they didn't appear to need changing.  I did it anyway just...well...'cuz.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rinse p10 cushion daily. Start to lose a good seal after about 6 weeks, throw away at 8 weeks!

Bag-head    snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 35 5 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,436 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,713 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 502 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.