Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cushion Replacement Frequency vs DME Re-supply Freq
Cushion Replacement Frequency vs DME Re-supply Freq
I'm looking through the cleaning & maintenance info, and I see that I'm supposed to replace my DreamWear Nasal Mask's cushion every 2 weeks.

DME only gave me 1. My appt with them isn't for several weeks.

Am I supposed to go back to my DME every other week to ask for a replacement? Or should they give me several up front, like they did for the micro-fine filters?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cushion Replacement Frequency vs DME Re-supply Freq
I have had nasal cushions last over a year. It's nice now that insurance replaces them monthly, but 2-weeks? Really? I doubt if it was coming out of your pocket you would follow that schedule. It will work much longer. Ask your DME what your insurance replacement schedule allows, and if it is 2 per month, then ask to receive 2 each month.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The replacement schedule is a REAL revenue generator for a DME. Depending on how you care for your cushions, they can last a long time. You will notice little things like leaks increasing as they near their end-of-life.

As a side note: I found replacement pillows for my P10 from a supplier (listed on the Supplier list) that is selling them at a lower price than my copay is from the DME. My advice is to Google around so you will know if you're getting a fair deal.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep the DME is there to make $$$, I agree with care and good cleanings you should get at least 6 months - a year. less if your pet chews on it.....
Good to keep a spare around.
Good Luck
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2017, 04:47 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote: Yep the DME is there to make $$$, I agree with care and good cleanings you should get at least 6 months - a year. less if your pet chews on it.....
Good to keep a spare around.
Good Luck
Sleep-well

Dielaughing I have 2 puppies that are a bit suspicious of the machine itself... but I imagine once they get over that, they'll be very interested in nibbling at the mask. A spare would be good to have! Bigwink Thanks

(01-16-2017, 01:45 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have had nasal cushions last over a year. It's nice now that insurance replaces them monthly, but 2-weeks? Really? I doubt if it was coming out of your pocket you would follow that schedule. It will work much longer. Ask your DME what your insurance replacement schedule allows, and if it is 2 per month, then ask to receive 2 each month.

Okay. I'll ask them for a supply of them next time... now that I'm understanding more of how all of this DME stuff works.

I'm still a bit miffed that they didn't give me all the sizes of the cushion (which supposedly come with it), nor did they even fit me to it (so I don't think the size they gave me is fitting me as well as another size would). So next time I'm in there, I'm going to insist that they give me the other size AND they give me replacements.

(01-16-2017, 01:46 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The replacement schedule is a REAL revenue generator for a DME. Depending on how you care for your cushions, they can last a long time. You will notice little things like leaks increasing as they near their end-of-life.

As a side note: I found replacement pillows for my P10 from a supplier (listed on the Supplier list) that is selling them at a lower price than my copay is from the DME. My advice is to Google around so you will know if you're getting a fair deal.

Okay. Good point about being a revenue generator. Makes sense. And good to know about the leaks being a sign of aging. I'll keep that in mind.

My insurance doesn't have a co-pay, but there is a % I have to pay... and I'm not thoroughly understanding what those #s are quite yet, so I'll definitely keep an eye on that, and remember I can just order elsewhere if I desire.

P.S. Your username is the MOST clever username I've ever seen! Kudos! like
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Dreamwear mask but don't use it much because of leaks. I have found that I usually can't go much beyond 2 weeks on one cushion before I have to change it. I watch leak information carefully on Sleepyhead and when it shows more leaks, and wakes me up leaking into my eyes, I change it. I can see the difference on SH the next day. My equipment is cleaned in very warm water every day. Medicare allows me 2 each month. My Wisp goes at least a month, sometimes longer, before replacement.
Post Reply Post Reply
The 2 DMEs I checked with said the cushions can last a year. Well they charge $300-400 a full set and don't sell cushions. At that rate it better last a year.

Supposed to wash with water everyday as using soap will affect the material, so he said. I didn't follow that but my last wisp cushion lasted at least 6 months. Maybe I'll put it back to active duty and tighten the straps a bit and see how it goes. Was leaking quite badly when I decided to replace it. New one was better but I too had to tighten the straps. Perhaps it's time to change the straps too. Thinking-about
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Not using soap sounds strange--washing is intended to kill germs and prevent problems. Any type of oil--facial, petroleum products, etc., leads to more leads and deterioration.
Post Reply Post Reply
How long a cushion/pillow lasts you depends on many factors including cleaning methods, nose architecture, how mask is worn, oils, acids, creams on your face, etc. I just replaced my first cushion for my Dreamwear after 3 months because the leaks had increased quite a bit. Unlike other pillows, boiling didn't extend the life at all.

Medicare views the Dreamwear piece as pillows, so filled as 2 per month. Needless to say, I have enough (4) and no longer order any.
Post Reply Post Reply
P10

They send me 5 Pillows and 1 frame with pillow every 3 months. Plus heated Tubing and assorted filters.
They send me 5 Pillows and 1 P10 Kit every other 3 months. Plus a water chamber, and heated tube.

That is their recommended schedule.

I'm still using one of the P10 Medium Kits from a year ago. Haven't changed the nasal pillows or the headgear, but it is getting to be that time.

That's my experience if it helps you. And I should note I hate breaking in new pillows, I prefer to keep using the same ones till they are no longer useful at all. I find new pillows take 2 or 3 days before they setup well. As always YMMV.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,033 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,816 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 201 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,122 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,892 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.