Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cushion Replacement
Cushion Replacement
G'day
Next week is my fourth week of trialing the loan CPAP machine and now have to purchase one. I am going for the Res Med Airsense 10 Autoset. I am narrowing down the masks between the P10, N30 and N30i.
Is there a recommendation around the frequency of replacing 
1) the mask and 
2) the cushions?
Cheers Simon
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cushion Replacement
I like the dreamwear nasal cushion better than the resmed. I tried on both of my fitting. I don’t plan on replacing my cushion until I see some damage or mis-fit, going on a couple months and it still looks brand new. I do wipe it down every day. I have bought an extra hose and cushion just so I can swap them out and clean it at my leisure instead of a set rigid schedule.
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
The recommended frequency for cushion replacement is monthly and every three months for the mask. Few of us replace that frequently. I use an F20 full face mask and easily get a year's use from the cushion and much longer from the mask frame. I believe the recommended schedule is primarily to provide cash flow to the suppliers.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I certainly don't need to replace cushions monthly, but if/when there's damage or the cushion no longer seals correctly, then it's time to swap in a new one. I think I'd apply that to the headgear, etc. as well. Have 1 replacement part of each, the cushion, frame, etc. as well as hose, humidifier tub, etc. and a decent supply of filters. As your just in case insurance against something failing at 2 AM Saturday.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have stated, they last a lot longer than they recommend using them. It didn't take me long to find that out.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I have read from other members here that it can go both ways with replacement frequency.  Some are more adherent to the 'suggested replacement schedule', as if there really is such a thing, and some find their masks simply don't work as well after a few short weeks, and they'll replace them.  Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.  Me, I'm just approaching three years with the same equipment.  All of it.

If you fit everything carefully, keep things from being stepped on or 'fondled' by your cat, and clean it all once in a blue moon, you should get many months' service out of all of it.  The basic machine, itself, at least 5 years, some go twice that.

If you have the coins, keep one spare of all replaceable items in a drawer, as suggested earlier.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's been about 27 months now since having started SA Therapy. I have tons of extra equipment on hand. If something breaks or just plain gets worn out, I have more.  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with mesenteria and don't know when I last replaced anything on my mask AirFit P30i .
That reminds me I must clean my mask and hose soon. I remember when I first started and clean it every morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for your responses.
I think I'll go down the track of doing the regular (daily/weekly/monthly) maintaining  of the mask, etc and replace parts based on the data I get from the reports re leaks, AHI, etc.
I posted on one of my other threads and it has been mentioned above about masks - so you can 'mix and match' masks and machines ie the Dreamwear nasal and a Res Med Airsense 10?
Cheers
Post Reply Post Reply
masks and machine can be mixed.but parts of the mask (cushion, frame) cannot be mixed...hoses also cannot be mixed due to end fittings....mask parts and hoses, -at least the dreamwear stuff- Are cheap, (25 bucks or so per part), on US Amazon
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 or 11 replacement Shamus54 8 222 04-11-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,854 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 33 10,416 03-29-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 2,036 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 232 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 259 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,234 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.