Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Custom mask maker?
Question 
Custom mask maker?
Is there anyone who makes custom sized and fitted masks for people who have narrow or larger faces?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Custom mask maker?
I don't think there's currently any custom masks available in the U.S. market. There's a couple of startups that don't yet have FDA approval. Metamason is one of them, you can just google "Metamason custom cpap mask" to find them. There used to be a company offering custom masks called "TrueFIT", but I'm not sure if they are still in business, didn't find much by Googling them.

But there are hundreds of masks now available (not custom) that offer different options for those with large, small, narrow, wide, or whatever faces. Ask your DME supplier to let you try on several to see what fits best.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2015, 11:21 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I don't think there's currently any custom masks available in the U.S. market. There's a couple of startups that don't yet have FDA approval. Metamason is one of them, you can just google "Metamason custom cpap mask" to find them. There used to be a company offering custom masks called "TrueFIT", but I'm not sure if they are still in business, didn't find much by Googling them.

But there are hundreds of masks now available (not custom) that offer different options for those with large, small, narrow, wide, or whatever faces. Ask your DME supplier to let you try on several to see what fits best.

BUMP

IMO We really need to encourage these people.

I think they are going at it wrong but hey what do I know. At least it is being done.

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
I got new orthotics recently - no more plaster casts - they used a laser scanner to get the shapes of my feet. Then they make moulds using a 3D printer and continue as before.

This same technique could be used to scan a face... The clinician will ask her technician about the power level of the laser used, to decide whether closing eyes is sufficient, or opaque covers may be required. Of course, the mask people would want a custom designed device for their use. Sad

At the very least, this would allow quicker/better fitting of the available masks - once the mask database was created.

One can hope...
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2015, 12:07 PM)pholynyk Wrote: I got new orthotics recently - no more plaster casts - they used a laser scanner to get the shapes of my feet. Then they make moulds using a 3D printer and continue as before.

This same technique could be used to scan a face... The clinician will ask her technician about the power level of the laser used, to decide whether closing eyes is sufficient, or opaque covers may be required. Of course, the mask people would want a custom designed device for their use. Sad

At the very least, this would allow quicker/better fitting of the available masks - once the mask database was created.

One can hope...

This needs to happen. I hope someone catches on to this and does it. Bump.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2015, 10:00 PM)JVinNE Wrote: Is there anyone who makes custom sized and fitted masks for people who have narrow or larger faces?

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/...68269.html
Post Reply Post Reply
[/quote] http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/...68269.html
[/quote]

Acurest.com.au website is down. Acurest in Australia is a medical supply company in Queensland.
Post Reply Post Reply
A bit of googling brings you to Medical Art Prosthetics who are the makers of this monstrosity, the Truefit Custom CPAP Mask.

[Image: truefit.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 429 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,626 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,287 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,861 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Custom user events / interpretation permabear 13 1,698 01-30-2022, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Geer1
Idea TheMagic5 - custom swim goggles (does this exist with CPAP?) Hydrangea 1 705 11-03-2021, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,111 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.