Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Customizing masks - Amara View
Customizing masks - Amara View
Has anyone tried making the openings larger by trimming the rubber on the cushion with a scissors?

I noticed the curled edges around the openings and I was wondering if the rubber would tear after being cut?

I currently have an Amara View with both small and medium cushions.

The original mask came with the small cushion, but the nostril opening covered 1/3 of my nostrils. And the mouth opening covered my lower lip.

So, I got the medium size (before finding the sizing chart online and seeing they fit by length of nose). The cushion still fits in the same mask frame (the frame is too small for me). Although the openings are slightly larger, the cushion is now too deep for my nose and I have leaks that blow into my eyes.

So, I want to go back to the small mask but with a little customizing. I plan to use a hole punch and/or small scissors to trim the rubber around the openings.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Customizing masks - Amara View
Somewhat confused here (I use that mask)
"And the mouth opening covered my lower lip" it is supposed to cover your lower lip so it is a full face mask (mouth and nose) what am I missing?

As for increasing the opening, I have thought about this. I would not recommend scissors as any not very smooth curve will produce a focus point and may cause a tear. As far as I can figure out, that little strap between the nose opening and your upper lip is to keep the part of the mask on each side of your nose from expanding outward when filled with air pressure. It is not part of the seal itself. If that part tears or breaks the mask will not seal around the bottom of your nose.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, should you decide to move forward
Post Reply Post Reply
reworded:
The silicon cushion lays on my lower lip and covers/reduces the opening for my mouth breathing. (I want to get the cushion to lay just under the lower lip.)

Post Reply Post Reply
Heh I thought about this last night when I had my mask on. When I first put my mask on the "strap" does indeed cover most of my lower lip. Once I turn the pressure on and pull our and reseat the mask that strap moves down to between my chin and my teeth, in the little valley.
Post Reply Post Reply
They make mask liners out of Anti -Bacterial fabric. You could use some of the liner fabric in the place where the cushion is too deep for your nose, or on your nose, to make the deeper part of the mask tighten around the end of your nose, creating a pad off the end of your nose.

Or just try the liners

I have liners for the Amara view, they do help with the large leaks and create a softer feel. However, I found that I get a higher base line leak when using the liner, but less spikes, so less overall leaks.

My nose is certainly more comfortable and easer to seal with the liners.

With out the liner, when I wake up, I sometimes find the bottom edge of the mask riding on my lower lip. With the liner; that never happens because the liner extends beyond the lower edge of the mask creating a better seal below my lip.

They are about the same price as the cushion and do extend the life of the cushion .

(04-15-2016, 12:06 AM)sevenlevels Wrote: Has anyone tried making the openings larger by trimming the rubber on the cushion with a scissors?

I noticed the curled edges around the openings and I was wondering if the rubber would tear after being cut?

I currently have an Amara View with both small and medium cushions.

The original mask came with the small cushion, but the nostril opening covered 1/3 of my nostrils. And the mouth opening covered my lower lip.

So, I got the medium size (before finding the sizing chart online and seeing they fit by length of nose). The cushion still fits in the same mask frame (the frame is too small for me). Although the openings are slightly larger, the cushion is now too deep for my nose and I have leaks that blow into my eyes.

So, I want to go back to the small mask but with a little customizing. I plan to use a hole punch and/or small scissors to trim the rubber around the openings.

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2016, 12:22 PM)0rangebear Wrote: With out the liner, when I wake up, I sometimes find the bottom edge of the mask riding on my lower lip. With the liner; that never happens because the liner extends beyond the lower edge of the mask creating a better seal below my lip.

I use the ResMed FFM (F10) and have this same problem, the mask tends to creep up my nose while I toss and turn resulting in it being too high and springing leaks when I move. I reach up and pull it back down below my bottom lip and it is okay for a while. I have found lately I can scrunch up my nose a few times and the mask will creep back down my nose and below my lower lip.

I find it very comfortable but very annoying, so I ordered a P10 nasal mask from my DME to try and see if that is better. Maybe I should try one of those masks for the F10 ... hmm, I will have to order a couple and see if that helps, the F10 for me is very comfortable if I could just solve the creeping up the nose issue. Dont-know
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Just thinking. I tend to yawn when I first go to bed and that effects the mask fit around the mouth (duh Smile I find that I pull my chin in, bring my lower lip up under the mask and then let my chin out. Bingo sealed and recovered from the yawn.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was playing with the smaller mask trying to get a good picture of the problem when I realized how flexible the nose area is. And, trying to get a shot of the lower lip issue, I noticed how comfortable it was when I put it over my mouth before placing it under my nose. (The instructions want the nose to go in first.)

EUREKA! I had a great night's sleep!

I put the mask over my mouth and let the nose area inflate and seal with the pressure.

I am going for two in a row. Maybe this time I will remember to put the SD card back in LOL.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great observation, I will give that a try tonight
Sleep-well

(04-16-2016, 06:14 AM)sevenlevels Wrote: I was playing with the smaller mask trying to get a good picture of the problem when I realized how flexible the nose area is. And, trying to get a shot of the lower lip issue, I noticed how comfortable it was when I put it over my mouth before placing it under my nose. (The instructions want the nose to go in first.)

EUREKA! I had a great night's sleep!

I put the mask over my mouth and let the nose area inflate and seal with the pressure.

I am going for two in a row. Maybe this time I will remember to put the SD card back in LOL.

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well not quite what I hoped for, but in the last week I have been able to keep the mask on for three nights!

It is working well enough, that I have held off from punching any holes in the cushion. But I am tempted.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 355 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 219 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 409 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 495 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.