Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Customs Info Needed Please
Question 
Customs Info Needed Please
Hi guys, again, sorry for the lack of posts - in my last post I mentioned I had been sick for the past 2.5 years, finally diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. Not nice but now starting to feel a bit human again and getting to do more stuff...anyhow.....

I bit the bullet and ordered a Resmed AirSense S10 for her from my normal US supplier. (have purchased 2 before with no problems) however this time, it arrived in OZ on Monday but customs have held it up until I can prove the cost (which I just sent the email to them). However, they are saying that if it is over $1000 I will have to pay tax...can anyone Australian on here advise if this is correct because I am sure that medical equipment is exempt. I have no idea who to contact regarding this so all and any information would be most appreciated. According to the tracking it's held at Brisbane EMS but I had to email postimportsnsw

Thank you so much in advanceThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Customs Info Needed Please
you are correct about the GST being exempt, although I had to pay $56.20 for my resmed to be released through customs as it was over $1000.00
Post Reply Post Reply
There are quite a few Aussies on the forum. zonk and moderator DeepBreathing are two who come to mind.
DeepBreathing is online now -- send him a PM. (He's in Perth.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi weeble,
Great to hear from you again and I hope you get to feeling better.
Good luck with your customs problem and I hope you get your new machine, soon.
I’ll be anxious to hear how you like it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it is GST exempt. Go to the Border Farce site https://www.border.gov.au/Busi/Carg/CMR-...tion-Codes The code you want is B124
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. DeepBreathing, the link you gave me doesn't work. Keeps coming up Resource cannot be found. Trish6Hundred, I will let you know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Link didn't work for me either; but I assumed it was because I was coming from a US IP address.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not allowed to post links.

PM sent.

None of the hyperlinks on the borderfarce website point you to where it says it goes, just like going to their office in person.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2015, 02:09 PM)weeble Wrote: Thanks everyone. DeepBreathing, the link you gave me doesn't work. Keeps coming up Resource cannot be found. Trish6Hundred, I will let you know.

Apologies - I included a full stop (period) at the end of the link. It's fixed now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unlike NZ, in Australia CPAP machine are GST exempt https://www.border.gov.au/Busi/Duty/Indi...ortations)
Scroll down to "GST Act Schedule 3 and subsection 38-45(1)"
Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) appliances B124

I haven't bought anything over $1000 but I recall someone did talk about some custom tax payable on items over $1000
Normally, the on-line suppliers knows the drill and fill the appropriate paperwork
It was in the news lately about lowering the $1000 on on-line purchases, not sure what was the outcome

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,518 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 133 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Help needed SteveC 23 1,063 03-02-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  help needed teamarliss 7 291 02-25-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 278 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.