Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cutting off inhale breath
Cutting off inhale breath
I recently started a DreamStation ST and it's not been a good experience so far. I was using a Resmed AirCurve 10 Vauto, but I was still getting to many Central apneas so my doctor switched me to the ST. I have only been using the new machine for 5 days, but feel like I'm not sleeping at all. Also noticed that every 4 or 5 breaths in, it feels like the machine cuts off in the middle of inhaling. Not sure what to do. My respiratory therapist has only given out 3 ST machines to patience, so I'm not sure how much he can help.
Any suggestions?

Mode;ST
IPAP: 19.0
EPAP: 9.0
BPM: 12
Ti: 1.0

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cutting off inhale breath
Welcome to the Apnea Board.

Please download OSCAR and post some daily charts, and redacted copies of your sleep study. If you can include screenshots from bot your VAuto and ST including 2-minute views of centrals from both machines. We do better with data.

Guesses:
The BPM setting is off. The BPM setting should be set a bit slower than your breathing rate so your breathing rate is about 14?
Your Ti setting is off.

Look at the organize link in my signature to include the important charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
The BPM is set at 12 and the Ti is set at 1.0. I believe they are both on if they are set at a number. You're going to have to excuse my ignorance, I'm pretty new to this whole thing?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think by "off" bonjour means the settings aren't right for you to get good results. Can you get OSCAR and post what a night's therapy looks like? See his or my signature for the chart organization directions.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The most likely problem is too short of a time of inspiration setting. Your IPAP is set to 1.0, and iti likely you may need somewhere from 1.5 to 1.8 depending on normal inspiration times for you. In addition, you mght benefit from a change in Rise Time. It would help if you let us know all the settings you are currently using.

Also, you moved to the the Philips ST from Aircurve 10 Vauto as a result of central apnea. These are most likely treatment emergent CA events, and they are much better treated with the Aircurve 10 ASV. I am 100% certain you are using the wrong machine to correct the central apnea from bilevel therapy. I don't need a chart to see this. Please read manufacturer recommendations for the use of the ST vs ASV machines. The ST is for obstructive or obesity related hypoventilation, while ASV treats central and complex apnea. You need a different machine. For some reason doctors and insurance companies chronically prescribe ST when ASV is the clear and obvious choice. This is correctable only by getting the right machine, and you need to fight for it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Sleeprider. I'm assuming insurance dictates the ST fail to get to ASV. Time to practice complaining about ST failures you're experiencing. Note the problems it's causing so you can tell Dr. Duck ST ain't helping.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you to everyone. I did email my doctor this morning to tell him about the issues. I even asked if the ASV would be a better treatment option, but I'm sure they will say I have to spend 90 days on this one as I had to to with the first one. The funny thing is I felt better when I was using the Vauto. Since I started to use the ST, I feel absolutely horrible.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd suggest complain to the doc all the time till he or she gets sick of hearing from you. They might do the write up that ST is a fail sooner than 90 days. Write down the complaints for the doc if you think it may help. Squeak as loud and as often as you can.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider went directly to where I was heading. Including the ASV vs the ST.
The ST and ASV are the same class of machine meaning is you doctor justified one he justified the other and I too don't understand the doctors prescribing the wrong machine. I do assume that you do not have any breathing issues other than apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
No other issues that I know of.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rapid Breathing-Fractured Sleep-Out of Breath Fixit50 76 4,009 01-31-2024, 01:37 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  airsense 11 cutting off in therapy alphamale 1 277 01-11-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Airsense 10 cutting off repeatedly at night. coldfeet7 4 315 12-31-2023, 09:37 PM
Last Post: coldfeet7
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 848 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  jagged inhale--machine malfunction? mayalass 7 504 10-13-2023, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 537 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82
  Do nasal cpap help to not breath through mouth? hejohoo 10 1,425 09-19-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: hejohoo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.