Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Update on a newbie - AHI still high
Update on a newbie - AHI still high
Hi all; Just a note to touch base, I guess. I've had a horrible time finding the appropriate mask, even though I went to two suppliers. I ended up with the Innomed full face nasal mask because it has a plastic support my chin can sit in so my mouth doesn't fall open at night. I had a very badly dislocated jaw as a child and have tmj syndrome, which means chronic all the time jaw pain and headaches I went through at least eight masks to end up with this one. The whole process could have been side stepped if they had asked me when I first went for a mask if I had jaw problems. I ended up figuring it out myself. My jaw does not like being forced to stay shut at night with the Innomed, but I'm getting there. This is a high quality mask compared to the others I tried.

My problem now is that my AHI's are pretty high. Last night was 18.5 and a few nights ago was 38.8, higher than my sleep study. I think the pillow fell loose of my nostril that night. Should I have the EPR set at 3? I'm also wondering if I really need an Autoset machine. I'm having a hard time getting used to the air constantly blowing at me nonstop. Having jaw problems has made this process so much more difficult. I'm on Medicare, too, so it's been hard to say the least. I don't think the supplier anticipated me being so hard to help. I didn't do it on purpose. I've lost track of all the trips I took regarding masks, little heating from the humidifier, etc.

My goal is to be able to post in the success story thread, but at this rate I'm not too sure I'll be there in the near future. I ordered a lightweight nasal mask for backup and will have to use my chinstrap with that. Unfortunately, I breath through my teeth, however. I'm amazed so many people can use masks with no chin support. I guess normal jaws aren't like mine. Any advice is greatly <and I mean that> appreciated. Have a good day everyone. Love, DJ PS: I'm waking up tired and not feeling much better than I did before treatment. My pressure is 7.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Update on a newbie
I'm afraid I can't answer all your questions but.. I find when my EPR is set at 3 that life on the CPAP is much more tolerable.

With your AHI's so high do you think thatmaybe you have major mask leaks?

There will be other fellow members drop in and ofgfer good advice.

Hang in there my fried..Help is on the way!
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2013, 10:10 AM)Bompa Wrote: I'm afraid I can't answer all your questions but.. I find when my EPR is set at 3 that life on the CPAP is much more tolerable.

With your AHI's so high do you think thatmaybe you have major mask leaks?

There will be other fellow members drop in and ofgfer good advice.

Hang in there my fried..Help is on the way!
Coffee

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure it's not leaking but if it is I'm in trouble. I've tried so many masks now through Medicare that they are totally done letting me do it. I'll have to pay full price for any more I try. I'm at the end of my rope and wish I could miraculously post in the apnea success thread..lol...won't give up and thanks again. DJ

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi djjwilly,
I'm sorry you are having such a rough time with CPAP. EPR is a comfort feature. In other words, you can have it on or turn it off. I have read some posts on the board where some people think it's more of a pain than it helps. If you feel it helps you, then just keep right on using it.
I will tell you that CPAP can take a lot of time for some to get used to so don't give up.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR is like humidity setting, individual thing, everyone is different
Experiment and see whats works best and feel more comfortable for you

Your prescribed pressure 7 is not on high side, if you,re finding hard time getting used to CPAP, these tips might be of some help: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

Edit: whats breakdown of AHI including central events and leak
How many times do you wake up during the night

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2013, 05:15 PM)zonk Wrote: whats breakdown of AHI including central events and leak

Hi djjwilly,

I think most people prefer using EPR, and using EPR often helps lower leaks, too. But a few people (like me) do worse. Using EPR of 3 was more comfortable for me but it was causing my system to have many more central apnea events.

I suggest you look at your data to see how much (if any) of your AHI is from CAI. If your CAI is small relative to your OAI, then EPR may be helpful for you.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow. First of all you need to get your AHI down.
What kind of leaks are you getting during the night?
SleepyHead can display that for you as a graph vs time.
I can relate to your TMJ problem.
I have that myself.
I also have issues with mouth falling open so I went with the full face mask and attacked the leaks.
That works.
The full face mask does press in a bit on my lower jaw though so I am getting in some custom athletic mouth guards to help hold alignment while I sleep.

No kidding though, make the leaks your first priority.
Then the rest of the problems can be knocked out one by one.

Cheers!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 384 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 132 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 703 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.