Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DAYTIME SLEEPINESS - OXYGEN BARS
DAYTIME SLEEPINESS - OXYGEN BARS
Hi All,
Daytime sleepiness is caused by a lack of oxygen in the body. We can experience this even with the aid of our cpaps. The long term effects can cause a variety of serious health problems. My question is.....in addition to cpap, shouldn't we all be on some type of oxygen therapy? They have products out there like "oxygen bars" or even small cannisters with a face mask attached (for athletes). What say thew?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DAYTIME SLEEPINESS - OXYGEN BARS
(01-08-2015, 05:23 PM)Romax Wrote: Daytime sleepiness is caused by a lack of oxygen in the body.

And your evidence for this claim is?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2015, 06:08 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 05:23 PM)Romax Wrote: Daytime sleepiness is caused by a lack of oxygen in the body.

And your evidence for this claim is?

I'm not claiming anything. This was told to me in a sleep study by a doctor. Low oxygen levels and daytime sleepiness go hand in hand. Whether one causes the other is unimportant to me. I'm just a guy with sleep apnea that is worried about the long term effects of oxygen depravation caused by sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you misunderstood the doctor. Low night-time sO2sat (oxygen levels in the blood) goes hand in hand with day time sleepiness and this is what your doctor probably meant to say. Low sO2sats during the day are another story - they go hand in hand with headaches, illness, drowsiness (yes), dizziness and host of complaints, but it is rare unless there is something seriously wrong with you for you to have a low so2sat in the day. you would have to be seriously compromised in your lungs, heart or air intake (nose or mouth) for that to happen. At which point you would need other forms of treatment day and night. COPD is one such illness, but there are a host of others that would be associated with low sO2sat during waking period. If you have not been diagnosed with any such thing, and your waking sO2sats are within the norm (93-98%) then there is nothing for you to worry about on that scale. If you do have lower sO2sats than that during waking periods, then you would need supplemental O2 in some form or another for long term health.

Taking hits of O2 during the day if you do not suffer from waking oxygen insufficiency is useless and potentially harmful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much DocWils. I bought one of those finger oxymeters and I usually get a reading of 96 which I guess is ok.
Post Reply Post Reply
96 is brilliant. No problems there - full flush is around 96-98 for some people, but most range anywhere down to 92-93, depending on age, respiration rate, nasal wall sturdiness (a lot of people's nasal walls collapse on the inhalation which makes them take in less air), nasal passage blockage, mouth breathing (always lower levels in normal breathing than nasal breathing, but not in heavy breathing), heart rate, lung capacity, well the list goes on. So you have a very good waking sO2sat. You don't need extra O2 in the day, and so long as the CPAP does its job, you will get enough at night as well. If you have a recording pulse-ox, you will see that your night-time levels are lower than your day time levels, at around 91-94 on average, higher if you are lucky, but that is also normal - it is when you go below 86-88 for any length of time that is of concern.
Post Reply Post Reply
62 percent would be BAD I take it.Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought daytime sleepiness was not directly connected to anything (as far as sleep apnea goes) other than if you are being strangled 30-90 times an hour all night long every night, that you are partially roused from sleep each time and never really get quality sleep.

Sure, that will desat you if the apnea is long enough, just like holding your breath will desat you naturally, but being desatted is what partially wakes you and gets you to struggle for air, which is what directly interrupts your sleep and lowers its quality.

Or do I have that all wrong? Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Romax,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone! I usually get around 2 to 5 hours a night which helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daytime sleepiness zzcop302 0 99 03-15-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zzcop302
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 682 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 924 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,755 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 358 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 532 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Why would supplemental Oxygen be added to CPAP? kc90 18 1,065 01-02-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.