Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DC power for CPAP
DC power for CPAP
I have Philips System One 60 Series machine, with a non-heated humidifier. So far, it seems to work ok (I am only a few weeks into this).

Anyway, I bought a cigarette lighter adapter for the machine from an online vendor. I did get the right one, as it seems that the 60 series needs their own so far. It is the piece with the cigarette plug and the plug for the machine.

I guess my question is this: I can just buy an alligator clip to cigarette lighter (female), and plug this thing in? The machine works fine off of DC power without an inverter?

I've tried to research this and can't quite find the info to put my mind at ease.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DC power for CPAP

I guess my question is this: I can just buy an alligator clip to cigarette lighter (female), and plug this thing in? The machine works fine off of DC power without an inverter?

I've tried to research this and can't quite find the info to put my mind at ease.

First off Welcome to the Apnea board Welcome Yes the PR 60 is 12volt DC and yes you can use a alligator clip to cigarette adapter. No inverter required . Only warning from PR on use is don't use it with the engine running , voltage can peak up around 14 to 14.5 volts could damage unit .Coffee Warning make sure the polarity is correct or you will have a paper weight !Oh-jeez Red is Positive Black is negative .

Post Reply Post Reply
Cool. Thanks. That will be useful when camping.
Post Reply Post Reply

Cool. Thanks. That will be useful when camping.

Use mine that way when I ride in on horseback . other than I made up a 12v18ah AGM battery with the leads just connected to the battery then stuffed it into a saddle bag . I can get two nights easily on it could probably get a third but ( No humidifier saves power and weight ) you have to be careful ,when voltage drops Amperage goes up and things overheat that way . ready to switch to a Lithium Quad battery , can drop the weight from around 17lbs to about 7lbs think my horse will like a little more Dont-know OK maybe not !
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dakuda,
WELCOME! to the forum,! and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2014, 08:42 PM)dakuda Wrote: I can just buy an alligator clip to cigarette lighter (female), and plug this thing in?

Yes. Look at Item #532209 on Supplier #1 website (http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List)

It has a fuse in it for protection.

Quote:The machine works fine off of DC power without an inverter?

Yes. The native electricity supply for PRS1 machines is 12 volts DC.

You can confirm this by looking at the power brick you use when plugging in the machine at home. It has an input of 120 volts or 240 volts (60 Hz or 50 Hz) and an output of 12 volts DC.

You say you have a non-heated humidifier? Meaning perhaps that you don't have the heated hose option. Anyway, if you do run the heater on your humidifier be aware that it will run your battery down much much faster. They recommend a deep-cycle marine battery for that very reason.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
DC power for CPAP
(06-14-2014, 08:42 PM)dakuda Wrote: I guess my question is this: I can just buy an alligator clip to cigarette lighter (female), and plug this thing in? The machine works fine off of DC power without an inverter?

Yes, if it's a 12V battery.

If you hook it up wrong, you will destroy your CPAP machine. (i.e. Don't switch the plus and minus leads.)

How long it will last depends on the battery. Most people overestimate how long it will last.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could put a Schottky diode in one lead. The purpose is to prevent damage if the power is connected backwards. The Schottky diode has a low forward Voltage drop. Even better, if you can find one, would be a Schottky diode, 4 diode bridge. I can be connected to always steer the current the correct way no matter if you connect to the battery backwards.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope that this is not off-topic for this chain, but I am considering the HDM Z1, and wonder: What is the operating voltage of the unit? (Or, what is the voltage of the optional battery?). It seems that one could buy something like the Allpowers 23000mAh solar device sold on line, and power the Z1 for a lot less money than their $400 battery. (It occurs to me that 23000 mAH may be at 5V, in which case if operating voltage is say 15V, I only get 7.66 hours to discharge).

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2014, 09:17 PM)JWR Wrote: Use mine that way when I ride in on horseback

my first thought was "where do you plug in the adapter on a horse???" Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,793 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 229 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,428 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 405 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 981 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 871 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz
  [Equipment] Portable Backup Power for Outages Craige 4 570 10-29-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Craige

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.