Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DESPERATE & TERRIFIED-Need BiPap or Cpap HELP
RE: DESPERATE & TERRIFIED-Need BiPap or Cpap HELP
No on raising the IPAP. By adjusting your PS to 4 it will allow more room for the IPAP when the pressure rises.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2018, 10:22 AM)bluemom51 Wrote: Made it through the night - Set at IPAP of 18/EPAP of 9/PS of 5.  Felt a little hard to breathe when falling asleep but felt ok until early morning when I was getting more restless.

Does the chart show the machine trying to go higher than 18, especially around 5 a.m. ?  Obviously things started going much worse around 5-6:40 for some reason with AHI going to 20 and then I got up to go to the restroom and fell back asleep.

I used a ResMed nasal and it seemed to fit ok and I didn't notice many leaks. The humidity behaved well for once - had it set on Auto and it felt ok last night. What's interesting is that Sleepyhead has said the same thing for days - that the humidity is set to 4, but I have had it on many settings and last night was Auto?

Anyway, all in all, less afraid of the BiPap now - just probably need to keep making adjustments. At least right now I don't feel as shaky and weird.

Again, thanks for all your help - I feel much more hopeful and appreciate your time!

I would call not feeling shaky and weird a win Smile
It seems there was a reason why the 2 doctors and 2 lab techs wanted you between ps5 and ps 10
For the OA, a titration guide would suggest you raise the min epap, you will also need to raise the max epap to give the machine room to move.

I'm sorry I led you astray on the other thread, by suggesting you ask your doctor about lowering it to PS3. I would resist any further suggestions of going under ps5
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Ajack - thanks for the reply.  I am trying to find some positive thoughts and try not to overreact to whatever is going on.
I actually woke up feeling too tired and tried to go back an get an extra hour and woke up from that in a panic...I don't see factually how the BiPap could be messing with my mind this way, but I sure wish I didn't need one because I would just rather use an Auto without all the complexities.

I've been checked pretty well medically, I guess.

My VAuto doesn't have a minimum and maximum EPAP - only one EPAP and one IPAP so it may be different than yours.

Oh well, onward through the fog.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your Aircurve Vauto is nothing more than a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset with a bit more flexibility. I can prove it since my wife uses the Autoset (auto CPAP) and I use the Aircurve10 Vauto like you. If you want to set this machine up identically to an auto CPAP, that's easy. There is no difference other than I like the white color, and find the bilevel more comfortable. There really is very little difference. The complicated settings give you more options, but it really comes down to minimum and maximum pressure, and a difference between the inhale and exhale pressures. We're here to help. Best bet is to leave everything alone one more night, and let us know how it worked out in the morning.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
bluemom51, Too many people throwing too many things at you. Go with what Sleeprider said and just change PS from 5 to 4 and leave everything else alone for now.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2018, 06:46 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: bluemom51, Too many people throwing too many things at you. Go with what Sleeprider said and just change PS from 5 to 4 and leave everything else alone for now.

Yes, everyone means well, but it can be confusing with to much info.
Go with Sleeprider for now and take it from there.

Keep it simple!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok - thanks - will try another night - maybe with a PS of 4.  Thanks everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ignore the two doctors, a sleep report and two techs? I wouldn't do that. I think there are other things happening that aren't showing up on sleepyhead. I would refer back to your doctor for advice..
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just curious - do I have the wrong kind of BiPap?

Looking at the Sleep Study recommendation it says:

Max IPAP - 25 (that high based on "assumed" increased events (not observed) because I stayed on my side)
Min EPAP - 9
Max PS - 8
Min PS - 4
Bi-Flex - 3

My Aircurve VAuto only has 1 PS and I don't see a Bi-Flex setting.

I don't know how the other ResMed BiPaps work or what settings they have.  I did tell the doctor I did not want a Phillips Respironics based on my experience with a Dreamstation Auto I had tried and other comments about the P.R. machines having different algorithms than ResMed (and I just prefer a ResMed).

Good night all - off to try again.
Post Reply Post Reply
The lab suggested a philips machine with auto adjust PS up to PS8. I don't know how that algorithm works. The resmed has fixed PS. You told the doctor you didn't want a philips machine. They listened to you and prescribed a resmed with PS5. The doctor you asked for a second opinion from, reviewed you data with the lab tech and prescribed PS 10.

In your other thread, I said to ask about reducing your PS to 3, going by sleepyhead, this was obviously a mistake.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...etty-Rough
Walla thought I was quite clever then, what a difference 2cm makes. "I agree with ajack on dropping your Pressure Support (PS) to 3cm."
My reply was a cautious "I would check with the doctor, but I think it's reasoned. It is different for me to suggest lowering, It seems lately all I'm saying is increase it"
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 250 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 403 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 258 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,273 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  bipap Innisfree 2 461 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP to BiPAP transition and pressure settings ttodd 4 743 11-27-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Mask anxiety is making me desperate - any help appreciated! Tropicalhammock777 9 773 11-14-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: mesenteria

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.