Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DIY Polysomnography
DIY Polysomnography
Hello everyone,

Today I got a bill for this sleep study I got.

To my huge disappointment, it was 2500 euros.

Just as much as the ResMed Aircurve 10 machine I got.

So here is an idea...

I've seen some of those ventmed polysmonography devices with EEG and a lot of channels and automatic interpretation.
NHS actually buys their equipment from Ventmed which indeed is a Chinese producer.

So how about I buy one of those Polysmonography devices, we make a tutorial how to record and how to score it on your own.

Then we just set up a website where people can pay a deposit, I mail them the device, they do it, they mail it back, I return the deposit.

Basically we do it cost free.

Kind of like, Polysmonography sharing website. Sort of like... Uber, but not for cars.

We could make good instructions how to score UARS and other things that sleep studies just quickly do it.

I was shocked yesterday to hear from the doctor that UARS is an old term and not in the use anymore and so is RDI.

I just lost it...

FOlks on this website like Sleeprider literally told me my problem right away, and even told me how to fix it. I followed their guide and I have 0 obstructives and 0 hypopneas. 

Yet this guy today who is supposed to score my study told me, "UARS is an old term and RERAS, it is no need to score that... RDI is also an old term"

When I told him, AMERICAN Academy for Sleep recomments RDI and RERAs for UARS diagnosis, he got upset and jealous. Idk why folks don't like America so much nowdays. I mean wtf? In my eyes, I still dream of immigrating one day. I love everything American. Just because their academies set standards, why not read them instead of being upset?

So anyway...

What do you guys think about this?

Buying some cheap Chinese Polysmonography device, doing some tutorials and then sharing it? 
I know how hard it was for me to get the sleep study and I got two and none of them scored RDI and RERAs. I feel bitter and sorrow. I solved my sleeping issues and the healthcare system failed to even diagnose it completely and clear up all the questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DIY Polysomnography
It is nice that you want to help others with sleep apnea.  However, the "fly in the ointment" is a sleep study is considered a medical procedure here in the U.S.   Our federal authorities frown greatly on someone practicing medicine without a license, even if your intentions are honorable. Also, insurance companies aren't going to accept your findings.  I don't know the legality in other parts of the world.  I recommend placing your idea right up there with world peace.  Both are good but they are not going to happen.

Confused Sorry!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Remember my valuable advise kept you from paying for yet another PSG and using the funds to get the Vauto instead. I am still waiting to hear what your parents think of your jump to success instead of more futile sleep studies that only score apnea you know is not the problem. BTW you can thank me later by donating to Apnea Board so we can do more of the same for others.

Crimson Nape pretty much nailed it. Our forum rules don’t allow for swaps or sales of medical equipment. We do that so we can continue as an educational site and stay out of the legal crosshairs. Generous idea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, thank you on your compliments and appreciation for the U.S. it seems our country is under attack from outside and within and it means a lot that you appreciate our pride in our history and accomplishments. The people of this country, the innovation that comes with freedom of choice and our president are not what has been represented in the media. Between the pandemic and recent social unrest, these have been trying times.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
As much as it is your desire to help others, your idea just won't happen here on Apnea Board.  

As Red states, a sleep study is considered the same as a prescription item, and is required by a licensed medical doctor to prescribe such.

From our rules:
3.  No member may use their forum account to solicit or facilitate the sale, trade, or transfer of any prescription-required items (such as CPAP machines, humidifiers, masks or mask parts).* Soliciting or facilitating the sale, trade, or transfer of commercially-sold or pirated computer software packages or digital media is also prohibited.  

Also, this would be a legal nightmare for us... as we cannot and do not practice medicine here.  Our advice is strictly from personal experiences.

http://www.apneaboard.com/legal.htm

Also...
Apnea Board is based in the U.S. and must comply with U.S. regulations and laws regarding prescription-required items, regardless of where our members are physically located.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems to me that what was/is being done with Sleepyhead and OSCAR is similar to what is being proposed.
Instead of going through the process of the sleep study, it is suggested to just purchase a machine and self titration with the help of forum members.
From what I understand some of the medical establishment is not happy about Sleepyhead/OSCAR!?
Where is the line? I don't see where the OP mentions issuing prescriptions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2020, 04:00 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Also, thank you on your compliments and appreciation for the U.S.  it seems our country is under attack from outside and within and it means a lot that you appreciate our pride in our history and accomplishments. The people of this country, the innovation that comes with freedom of choice and our president are not what has been represented in the media.  Between the pandemic and recent social unrest, these have been trying times.

I understand about forum rules, I will be compliant. This forum helped me so much. 

I will donate tomorrow morning when I get out of my bed and get the credit card. 

Also Yes... America
That's a whole another topic

I have so much to say and maybe I am too naive but I still believe it is real... The American dream. I hope... idk

one day... a house with horses in Wyoming, my darling (she doesn't like this idea) and a redhaired daughter. lol...I am just guy who likes to dream I guess. I just believe in America

but my life and childhood, America helped me so much and American soldiers, president Clinton especially, I was born in Srebrenica. On behalf of my people and from the bottom of my heart, I remain forever thankful to the American people.

But people don't understand it... it's sad to see that even Americans don't respect their own constitution and what it promises them.

This was quite off the topic... And while I'm at it:
""Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!""

makes me tear every time. 

I left my birthplace and never found a place where to settle down. KEep dreaming of that little home in Wyoming. Big Grin

God Bless America
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2020, 05:26 PM)Mogy Wrote: It seems to me that what was/is being done with Sleepyhead and OSCAR is similar to what is being proposed.
Instead of going through the process of the sleep study, it is suggested to just purchase a machine and self titration with the help of forum members.
From what I understand some of the medical establishment is not happy about Sleepyhead/OSCAR!?
Where is the line? I don't see where the OP mentions issuing prescriptions.

Yes that is what I meant, it would be just device sharing thing, no profit included... No diagnosis or anything. 

Also I am just enthusiastic about getting my sleep back so I am so motivated that's why I have these ideas, like I want to contribute but others are right.

If it were to be allowed to just come here and post your own promotional stuff and websites... it's... it would turn the forum into a spam can.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for your kind words, fejsbukpejdz.  I wish we lived in a world where people were completely free to do things like that which you've proposed.  It is an honorable idea.  Unfortunately, in the U.S., those diagnostic devices can only legally be used on the order of and under the supervision of a qualified physician (according to U.S. laws and FDA regulations on medical devices).  Practicing medicine without a license is seen as a very serious crime here in the U.S., which is why Apnea Board is restricted on what we can, and cannot do.

So, for now, we all do what we can.  We use OSCAR to analyze our CPAP treatment, we take advantage of the many experienced and knowledgeable members here who have helped numerous people around the world-- and we learn from them.  Then, many of us go on to help others once we have been enlightened and educated on these sleep apnea issues.

The medical system here (and the regulations) are generally geared towards catering more to the medical professionals than to the patients.  That's probably not something that's going to change any time soon.  So in the meantime, we continue to work outside the system, as you are now doing.

Take care and sleep well.   Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
A great gesture there, and it would likely work wonderfully. There's more than enough knowledge here to set most anyone with apnea up with the right machine and settings, and then to be very successful at it. The only flaw is the regulations.

And if we can get half of the Americans to appreciate America as you do, it would be a great thing to experience. A sincere thanks and I do wish your therapy keeps doing great.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Higher AHI during Polysomnography than WatchPAT blancobonzo 3 674 09-29-2021, 08:05 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  How to open Polysomnography data? fejsbukpejdz 3 982 10-16-2020, 12:58 AM
Last Post: mazingas65
  Polysomnography: To a Hammer, Does Everything Look Like a Nail? Sheepish 18 3,087 11-10-2017, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Kryogen
  Polysomnography zonk 7 4,834 05-09-2015, 04:44 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Polysomnography report Gabby 7 3,682 02-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Last Post: drgrimes
  [News] Polysomnography vs. the home sleep study: Which is better? ApneaNews 3 9,579 03-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Last Post: archangle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.