Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DIY Suggestions?
DIY Suggestions?
Hello Folks

A family member had a sleep study.  Half way through the night, they put her on a CPAP machine.  Technician there said she has sleep apnea, which was predicted by a heart doctor who ordered the test   But it will be a while til her doctor gets the results (they say 7-10 days).  She's been getting worse for sometime, and she gets winded after taking 5 steps.  Does anyone know how to make a CPAP-like device to help her get through til she can get an actual machine?  So far, all the guidance she's had has been to sleep sitting up, and use a humidifier.  She thinks Idaho is not dry enough for a humidifier to make a difference.  Advice would sure be appreciated.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DIY Suggestions?
I would not try to recreate something like today's advanced CPAP machines. Look on Craigslist or SearchTempest.com for available Resmed machine. Ideally you want a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. I see one in Sunnydale for $450 which isn't too bad considering the recent Philips recall that has made the machines scarce. Nearly all machines now come with integrated humidifier, and I would not do without.

If she has big clusters of apnea, it may be positional and could be helped with a soft cervical collar better than sitting up. My signature has a link to the soft cervical collar wiki. For many people, apnea happens because of chin-tucking and sitting up makes it worse. You can try this yourself. Sit comfortably and allow your chin to relax into your chest. If you notice it is more difficult to breathe, that is a common result. A soft cervical collar supports the chin and prevents positional obstruction of the airway.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for suggestions chzuck 31 536 04-13-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: chzuck
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 166 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 3,094 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 313 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 337 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 311 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Decent - but we all deserve better than that! Suggestions please. CPAPveteran 9 598 12-28-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.