Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DIY idea to stop itching and rash back of head?
RE: DIY idea to stop itching and rash back of head?
Look at a "Bleep" mask. Yes that is what it is called. A strapless mask, nasal, taped on. At least as a break from your regular mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2021, 10:00 AM)berkshire17 I just found your post from last year about irritation to the back of your neck. Did the cal ode-tine work? This is happening to me. Wrote: Hi.  I just saw my dermatologist yesterday for my annual checkup.  While there, I asked her to take a look at the back of my head (actually upper neck just above the hairline).  I too have suffered (for a LONG time) from major irritation on the back of my neck from the CPAP headgear.  It would get so bad that I would bleed and it really interrupts my sleep because of the pain/burning caused by the strap in the back of the head. I have tried almost everything that I could think of (lotions, ointment, creams) and have purchased a couple of Pad A Cheek strap covers - nothing worked.  The dermatologist said that I am suffering from folliculitis and a nasty case at that.  She prescribed an ointment called Calmoseptine which is just zinc oxide and menthol and you can get it OTC.  I tried to find it at CVS yesterday with no luck and ordered it from Amazon last night.  Her suggestion was to apply some of the ointment on the affected area and then put gauze over it and then slide the strap over the gauze.  She lectured me not to get impatient since the gauze my have a tendency to move (sounded like my wife!).  In any event, she thinks it will do the trick.  I should note that one of the problems that I found with the Pad A Cheek system is that the backside of the strap cover is a little narrow and you can still have part of the strap rubbing up against your skin (at least I found that to be the case).  I just ordered another strap cover system sold by OpulenceMed that at least looks like it is wider (across the back of the head) and may help with this.  It was $11.00 so I won't be out that much if it does not work.  I also ordered the Pad A Cheek Anti-Leak Strap that is designed for my Resmed F20 AirTouch FFM.  The concept is that I should be able to loosen the bottom straps a bit (the ones causing the problem) taking pressure off the lower part of the back of my head.  The Pad A Cheek Anti-Leak strap goes between the hose and the mask and comes around the back of your head at a higher angle pulling the mask against your face (it will cover your ears however).  I have to have the mask tight due to the fact that I am on MAX pressure for my therapy.  God bless those people who can tighten the headgear straps no more than having the mask feel like it is simply "resting" on your face - I can't make that work - the mask will blow off of my face.  I am not sure that this strap will work for other masks (Pad A Cheek cautions that it will not) because it may interfere with the mask's ventilation system.  In any event, I feel your pain and will keep you posted on the results.  Best of luck................
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess. But it is VERY messy. I did find a solution however. I found a post online via Google on this topic from a woman. Her idea was to place a feminine pad between the strap and your head. I took it a step further. I put the Pad a Cheek cover over the strap. I then picked up a pack of the thickest feminine pads I could find (number 6 or 7). These pads have adhesive on the back side (to affix to panties). I affix the pad on top of the strap cover so the pad rests against the back of my head/neck. I have not had any irritation or sores since I started to do this (months). I swap out the used pad for a new one every other night (they flatten a bit with use). It works like magic!!  Give it a try and let me know how it works out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for getting back to me. I just got a new mask  today. I am convinced the problem is form having the head gear way to tight in order to get a seal. I am hoping this new mask will give me a seal without the torque specs.the new mask is a F&P simplistic.I will keep you in the loop.
Post Reply Post Reply
Histamine causes itchiness in skin.  Histamine is released from the skin mast cell in response to various stimuli.  Antihistamines block histamine release.  Try OTC antihistamine spray such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl).  This might help.
Post Reply Post Reply
My problem has been fixed. Long story short I did another sleep study and this time I was actually able fall asleep long enough for them to accurately assess my needs. I have been using a by pap machine with lower pressure since February. Huge difference and my sleep scores have been high 90s if not 100. I don’t have to have my headgear ratcheted to my skull, just snug is working fine. Thanks to all that offered suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Head position optimization apneavolt 11 326 04-16-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Do you stop your Airsense machine when you go to the bathroom during nighttime? dharma2255 10 315 04-12-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 172 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Glad to Have a Back-up, RM 11 Sent Back for Repair somewherein413 4 151 04-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 254 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 198 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 5,404 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.