Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bariatric surgery: OAs turned into CAs and Hs
Bariatric surgery: OAs turned into CAs and Hs
Dear all,

On 9th October, I went through bariatric surgery (gastric sleeve). Best decision I could ever take. After one month, I've lost already 19 kg (42 lbs) and feel strong and full of energy. Surgeon told me to avoid CPAP for a week after surgery to minimize risks of increased pressure in my new small stomach, which I did, but after that, I restarted treatment.

I've noticed that my neck diameter has decreased significantly (cervical collar is the indicator). Uncertain if it has had an effect on my Sleepyhead stats, because nearly all OAs I used to have in the past (light blue color in the Overview screenshot below) are gone. However, OAs are now being replaced mostly by CAs (purple). I see also more Hs (dark blue) after the surgery.

[attachment=9085]

I attach Daily stats of the past few days. The only adjustments I've made are dropping min pressure to 8.4 cmH20 (I used to be in 10), and decreasing EPR from 3 to 1. I read in the forum that EPR may have an impact in developing CAs. Am I doing something wrong? Should I decrease min pressure to reduce CAs?

I'm not concerned about my stats. AHI levels are usually below 1 most of the days, leaks are under control and I sleep like a champ, all night long, with my P10 nasal pillows. Although I don't mind to be on therapy the rest of my life, I still have hopes that one day, I may not need treatment anymore, at least for Obstructive Apneas.

Thanks for your support and help.

Regards,

Rumble
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bariatric surgery: OAs turned into CAs and Hs
Congrats on the weight loss.
It is a whole new way of eating now, little and often.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the bariatric sleeve done 9/2016. I went from 300 lb. at the program start (insurance required 6 month dietician control training), 275 lb. the day of the surgery, lowest was 200 lb 9/2017. Now with some other health concerns, I'm up to 225 lb.

However, with apnea, they did diminish, but not enough to hang up the ASV. I have to use ASV for Mixed Apnea, both obstructive and Central. I can report zeros lots of times overnight, certainly always under 3.5 AHI.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your results are very good, and the few apnea you are experiencing are not a concern. I you want to try a lower minimum pressure of 8.0, then you have my blessing to give it a try. Your current median pressure is equal to the minimum, so there is room to lower minimum pressure. Comfort is the priority as your results are fine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2018, 09:46 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your results are very good, and the few apnea you are experiencing are not a concern.  I you want to try a lower minimum pressure of 8.0, then you have my blessing to give it a try. Your current median pressure is equal to the minimum, so there is room to lower minimum pressure.  Comfort  is the priority as your results are fine.

Thank you, Sleeprider  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 6 103 4 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 37 2,121 Yesterday, 01:24 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 8 227 04-02-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,353 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 284 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 904 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 734 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.