Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DME BRAND SWITCHING
Money 
DME BRAND SWITCHING
After ordering replacement supplies from APRIA and specifying original ResMed products, I received products from AG Industries (ResMed Chin Restraint, Mirage Activa LT Headgear, and AirSense Filters). They also shipped the wrong water chamber.

After calling APRIA, I was told that they will take care of the water chamber, but all of the product numbers for the ResMed items I wanted have been changed to other products and they apparently couldn't help me with those items.

One, has anyone else even heard of AG Industries?

Two, does the DME have the right to engage in what amounts to "call brand switching" or substitution without prior notice?

Three, since Medicare apparently pays the same amount for non-branded products, is this a form of "bait and switch?"

Any advice would be helpful.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME BRAND SWITCHING
All the DME's will send "generic" brands for things like filters. It increases their profit margin.
I just Googled "AG Industries" and they were #1 on the results.

Quote:but all of the product numbers for the ResMed items I wanted have been changed to other products and they apparently couldn't help me with those items.
The verb should be wouldn't. They could certainly provide ResMed brand supplies; but will not.

Medicare doesn't care. They pinch the pennies while throwing Dollars away. They have screwed me on test strips; and now CPAP supplies -- they can pay for my EMS runs to the ER.

Until the villagers sharpen their pitchforks and start heating tar -- riding every politician and bureaucrat out of DC on a rail, things will only get worse.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2016, 05:07 AM)justMongo Wrote: Until the villagers sharpen their pitchforks and start heating tar -- riding every politician and bureaucrat out of DC on a rail, things will only get worse.

Just remember D.C. stands for District of Corruption

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
seems kind of like generic medications to me and these are more like non-prescription generics. Now changing the CPAP machine to off-brand, well that would get me miffed. I have never been asked about switching to generics, they just do it, I can always say now and pay full price if I ever wanted to (which I don't)
Post Reply Post Reply
My suggestion is to call the office that services your account. Tell them that you want to get Resmed brand product and the warehouse is sending you an off-brand. If they cannot supply what you are paying for, then you will be taking your business elsewhere. Send the unacceptable stuff back today. At the same time, notifiy Resmed that AG industries is making a part for their masks - that's an infringement of some kind, in my humble opinion. You can't just willy nilly make parts for a medical device that had to go through FDA testing to be approved.

Lincare warehouse also does not provide brand name filters or slimline hoses, but the office that services my account will. They just told me to call them and they will send them right out. The hypoallergenic makes a difference at certain seasons of the year and the AG doesn't compare THEN. Otherwise, I don't mind the AG brand at all. The cheaper hoses work, but they are noisy. If you have a heated hose though, they have to send you brand name because it has a patented electronic piece.

Medicare supports the use of generic product, so I don't think you are going too get far arguing that one EXCEPT possibly with the mask parts since they require FDA approval since they are a prescription required product.

To we consumers, it does seem like bait and switch, but Medicare always pushes for the generic form of everything, and it is not always equivalent or sufficiently equivalent for YOUR needs.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 121 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 169 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  Brand new to this Cheesedream 53 2,508 02-09-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Keep switching to mouth breathing (during REM?) alienfrontier 13 766 01-21-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Still can't keep mask on after switching to ResMed Kevstuf 7 506 01-03-2024, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  I’m brand new and have a question Boba1241 6 407 12-22-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: eok361
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 501 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.