Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DME Shennigans
DME Shennigans
I just got the note from from DME it is time to reorder. So I called them and set up for a new mask housing, 3 masks, filters, 6 ft climate-type tubing and a water chamber. When I was talking to the rep, I asked if I could get a 10ft non-heated hose instead. She said no problem and put it in the order.

Got a note from the DME saying the order was held up as I needed a new script for the mask housing (F20 shell and straps). Called and asked why as they had sent me the same item as before. Answer I got was the system says I need a new one. Talked to my doc and they said What? So they faxed one over. Called and found out where my order was and they told me they needed still another script as the hose was different. So, I said just change it back to the original and go with that, fixed, nope - Got another message about a delay so I called and they needed a script for the house as the person who changed it left it as a standard hose and not a heated. So I asked if they could just drop the hose and ship it as is. The next words out of the reps mouth was, if you drop the hose we still need a new script as it is mandatory part of the the system and if you change it, your doctor has to sign off on it. So, after three weeks of this debacle, I finally said, just ship it as before and I will deal with it later. I confirmed I wouldn't need a new script as it was the original order. Got the email saying it had been shipped with a tracking number. 

Everytime I called, I got a different rep and a different story. The last rep I talked to was finally able to put it all together and found out what happened. And I found out, I can't really not order something unless I get my doc's approval. Guess I'm going to have a lot of spare parts. 

BTW, I ordered a new 10ft hose from one of my suppliers and it should be here tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me rant and rave.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME Shennigans
DME is equal to torture and faux care. If you’re able to get it anywhere in any way possible other than via the DME you’re experiencing life with less stress.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ugh. That's SO idiotic. As if a doctor needs to Rx for a heated hose vs a non heated hose? That DME should be ashamed of themselves.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2019, 01:58 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Ugh. That's SO idiotic. As if a doctor needs to Rx for a heated hose vs a non heated hose?  That DME should be ashamed of themselves.

They’re not capable of that are they? Money covers all internal errors, so they think.

Can we give a DME worker a “red shirt “ today? Smile

PS my former pulmonary doc said I had to prove a standard hose couldn’t work in providing proper therapy before he’d consider script for the heated hose.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME didn't tolerate changes at all. No mask switches. They had 3 packages...expensive/more expensive/most expensive!
They're gone...I found another.

I asked my sleep doc-from-h_ll what had changed in cpap therapy.He said nothing. I asked about heated hoses and masks? He said he had 3000 patients and those didn't affect therapy at all. He'd look at my machine and divide hours used by (4) to see if I used cpap every night. Bless him he's retired!
BTW his reviews on rate your doc or whatever the site is are horrible, fun to read, and maybe too tolerant.

This group is amazing. I have learned lots! I have much to learn.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Here I am, knocking on wood. 

I've heard and read about some of the problems / issues with sleep doctors and suppliers of DME. I know the problems do exist, but yet, I've not experienced any of them. 

So far, so good, and I'm not taking that lightly. I am very fortunate indeed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Against all odds, I have a new sleep doc. He has been helpful and made a slight change. Increased my pressure after my first sleep study in 10 years.
I'm grateful too....

I asked everyone I saw at work that had mask marks on their face whether they liked their DME and sleep doc! It's a big office.

Meanwhile, my 70 year old friend who said he was always tired took my advice and was tested. He stopped breathing 105 times an hour....his first diagnosis.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Funny thing about this DME was they were fine until they had to split their respiratory folks off from the main company. Under the old company I would get an email saying it was time and then go to the website and click on what I needed. No problem with not ordering something. Even could get a 10 ft hose until they told me they didn't stock them any more and recommended a commercial provider to get one. If I didn't check on something, I would get an email asking me if that is what I really want. With my insurance and supplement, there is no out of pocket at all. 

We shall see what comes in the mail next week.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2019, 02:15 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 01:58 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Ugh. That's SO idiotic. As if a doctor needs to Rx for a heated hose vs a non heated hose?  That DME should be ashamed of themselves.

They’re not capable of that are they? Money covers all internal errors, so they think.

Can we give a DME worker a “red shirt “ today?  Smile

PS my former pulmonary doc said I had to prove a standard hose couldn’t work in providing proper therapy before he’d consider script for the heated hose.

Cap'n just gave the order. Setting my phaser to Stupify.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2019, 02:15 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:

Can we give a DME worker a “red shirt “ today?  Smile

LOL at the suggestion of a red shirt. I leave very informative Yelp reviews for DMEs I deal with.

My former sleep "doctor"/DME refused to allow me to have a heated hose (I guess you can do that when you are your own DME) because he said I could manage my rainout some other way, and obviously my rainout was no big deal since my apnea was being effectively treated.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.