Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap jackpot
Cpap jackpot
I got an Airsense 10 Autoset for her from a private seller for $40. It only had 255 hours on it. I will probably keep it as a back up. What are the most important parts to disinfect and what is an easy way to do it? I'm not a big germophobe so I'm not worried about making it pristine.

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap jackpot
The machine does not need disinfected. Just wipe the exterior case to clean it, and change the filter and completely clean and possibly disinfect the humidifier chamber with hydrogen peroxide. I have never re-used tubing or masks from another user, but disinfection is relatively easy for those components. The machine does not ever receive exhaled air, and as long as it is free from smoking or other environmental residues, it is good to go. You made an amazing deal!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2021, 09:41 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The machine does not need disinfected. Just wipe the exterior case to clean it, and change the filter and completely clean and possibly disinfect the humidifier chamber with hydrogen peroxide.  I have never re-used tubing or masks from another user, but disinfection is relatively easy for those components. The machine does not ever receive exhaled air, and as long as it is free from smoking or other environmental residues, it is good to go. You made an amazing deal!

The owner was definitely a smoker.  The carrying bag smells heavily of smoke.  I'm going to use a new water chamber because the one on it smells like smoke.  The rest of the machine and the places that recieve or vent air don't smell like smoke thankfully.  I'm going to throw away the tubing they gave me as well because it smells smokey too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck getting rid of the smoker's residue. I have never been able to do that. Maybe I'm just hypersensitive, having grown up in a household full of nicotine fog, but I reckon I could detect cigarette tar at 100 paces!

When I lived in New Zealand and was looking for a car, I found a Subaru Forester STi that was 100% what I was looking for. However, the owner was a smoker and the evidence was overwhelming. He offered to have it professionally valeted before I viewed it again, but it made little difference. Ugh.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2021, 10:02 PM)StevesSp Wrote: Good luck getting rid of the smoker's residue. I have never been able to do that. Maybe I'm just hypersensitive, having grown up in a household full of nicotine fog, but I reckon I could detect cigarette tar at 100 paces!

When I lived in New Zealand and was looking for a car, I found a Subaru Forester STi that was 100% what I was looking for. However, the owner was a smoker and the evidence was overwhelming. He offered to have it professionally valeted before I viewed it again, but it made little difference. Ugh.

I'm hoping the actual machine isn't affected.  The outside is something I can scrub the hell out of if it bothers me.
Post Reply Post Reply
What about soaking a cotton ball with Ozium, sitting it on the table in front of your PAP air intake, run PAP for a few minutes.

Ozium is at AutoZone, Advance, etc. in the deodorizer area.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2021, 10:11 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: What about soaking a cotton ball with Ozium, sitting it on the table in front of your PAP air intake, run PAP for a few minutes.

Ozium is at AutoZone, Advance, etc. in the deodorizer area.

Seems like worth a shot. I haven't tried the machine yet (besides turning it on to check the hours and letting it run a minute) so I don't know if there's a smoke smell inside it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I may have brought the Ozium idea to apnea board many years ago. It's pretty effective, but don't spray it into the machine. You have to spray a cotton ball or piece of cloth, and place it near the inlet, then run the machine and draw the vapors through. I had a Philips BiPAP that was badly contaminated by smoke. Depending on your sensitivity, it can be a difficult problem to resolve.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2021, 10:26 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I think I may have brought the Ozium idea to apnea board many years ago. It's pretty effective, but don't spray it into the machine. You have to spray a cotton ball or piece of cloth, and place it near the inlet, then run the machine and draw the vapors through.  I had a Philips BiPAP that was badly contaminated by smoke.  Depending on your sensitivity, it can be a difficult problem to resolve.

Would spraying a filter do the job or should it be outside of the filter?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't put ozium in any physical contact with the machine, it just isn't needed, but a light spray on a filter, then running the fan should not be a problem. You will need to switch off anything like smartstart or the machine will shut down due to large leak.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.