Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DME angst
RE: DME angst
(11-21-2018, 07:42 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: "All calls are recorded and monitored for quality assurance." That automated voice phrase was what callers heard while trying to get me on the last job, which was a credit card call center. I was tech support for 3 systems of internet processing, shopping carts, etc. Maybe the DME customer ought to incorporate that phrase and back it with actual recording to maintain "quality" and "integrity". Admitted, it would be a first for some of these DMEs to have a dose of quality and integrity. But hey something has to cause it to snow again this month.

Coffee

like As long as they are warned at beginning of call, it is legal.  For "Training and Quality Assurance". They would probably hang up.
Everyone has a bad hair day once in a while.  Same with a night on xPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2018, 08:03 PM)zzzlessinMS Wrote:
(11-21-2018, 07:42 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: "All calls are recorded and monitored for quality assurance." That automated voice phrase was what callers heard while trying to get me on the last job, which was a credit card call center. I was tech support for 3 systems of internet processing, shopping carts, etc. Maybe the DME customer ought to incorporate that phrase and back it with actual recording to maintain "quality" and "integrity". Admitted, it would be a first for some of these DMEs to have a dose of quality and integrity. But hey something has to cause it to snow again this month.

Coffee

like As long as they are warned at beginning of call, it is legal.  For "Training and Quality Assurance". They would probably hang up.

Even better if they DO hang up. That's a headache or an upset ulcer that they saved me from having to deal with...

Eat-popcorn Coffee

Yes, you right. My memory must have a bad sector or 10. Quality and training..oopsie I missed that, so the quality guy just dinged me for 2 points this month...Oh the things coffee soothes and covers the agony of a bad quality review.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I worked support for a major financial software company, we had that phrase about being recorded on each call. We would have some folks ask to not be recorded and our answer was sorry, no can do. The system is automatic. Granted it was for training and QA, but it also could be used to fire someone or to save someone's butt. Had a guy one call in and was trying to get me to help him do something extremely shady in regard to payroll taxes and I reminded him the call was most likely being recorded. He hung up after that.

Recordings that pick up background conversations are really bad and depending on how much information can be gleaned from background noise, can result in regulatory issues for the company as I have been informed by some of my counterparts in the industry.

Homer
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh the irony: I had a girl call in to reset her password. I had to verify info to do so. Her business was something to do with helping people with stress and thinking positive. Well, she cannot verify the security info to allow me to reset the password. I have her on a silent hold waiting for her to find some info. She is crying in the background and saying how she's a failure at business, etc. Hmm, OK. I don't think I'd buy her product or service for some reason.

Eat-popcorn Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Really fun when you have to go thru the send in process for a password reset and you work for the company. Supporting TurboTax and wanted to regenerate my old user name so I went through the steps. My tier 2 asked me is this you? I said yep - it was one of my regular user names. Got the reset. He told me if you had waited a week you could have done this yourself. You're becoming a tier 2 next week.

Homer
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
More DME shenanigans.  DME set a letter to my sleep doc (with copy to me) stating that they did not have "RESMED Airsense 10 VPAP" which doesn't even exist (Of course, they don't have it).  Doctor was ordering RESMED Airsense 10 VAUTO.  (I didn't actually see the script so it is possible his nurse wrote RESMED Airsense 10 VPAP in error. But DME clearly understood what he meant because they want me to have a PR DreamStation BiPAP AUTO).  In the letter my DME asked my doctor to change the prescription to "Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto BiPAP" (incorrect name..it is called "Philips Respironics DreamStation BiPAP Auto").  They added that the RESMED and PR DreamStation have the same Medicare billing code so didn't see why I couldn't use the DreamStation.  If I must have the RESMED then he should refer me to different DME. Thumbs-down-1

They are supposed to fill the prescription as ordered, not negotiate with doctor to change his prescription to the one they get the most profit. Perturbed  

I will be calling my doctor's office first thing Monday morning and tell his nurse to NOT CHANGE PRESCRIPTION to DreamStation and remind them why the RESMED was ordered.

1. RESMED algorithm responds more quickly to Flow Restrictions and will better prevent the clusters of OA I develop. 
  2. RESMED pressure increments are 0.2 cm. DreamStation pressure increments are 0.5 cm.
  3. DreamStation water chamber holds only holds 325 mL and RESMED holds 380 mL.  I will have to get up in the middle of every night to refill it because it will run dry before morning.  (My RESMED VPAP S has 380 mL and runs dry during the night frequently.
  4. RESMED is quieter at  26.6 dBA.  DreamStation is 27.9 dBA and has a well known sleep-disturbing whine.
If the prescription has the name incorrect (VPAP instead of VAUTO), I will have his office FAX a new Rx with the exact name of the machine to DME (RESMED Airsense 10 VAUTO).  So then DME has no excuse to not order as prescribed.

Then call my Medicare COA and tell her about this latest development.  I suspect DME does not plan to order the RESMED and is hoping Dr. K changes it to the one they get bigger profits.  Then they won't have to order the RESMED.  If the Presciption is changed to DreamStation, then I am wanting a machine my doctor didn't order specifically and I  CANNOT force them to get the RESMED for me.

This is very shady to say the least.  This is all over $100 difference in the price from manufacturer.  I first told Medicare COA I didn't want to file formal complaint because I felt it would just cause delay in getting it.  I will definitely be filing a complaint once I have my machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
like Stick to your guns here. That is, do not let DME dictate what you want. Hold for the ResMed or try another DME, and I would tell current DME that as well. Either get me the ResMed, or someone else gets my business. See what happens. Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have email addresses to your doctor, DME and Medicare COA? If so, it may be worthwhile emailing your doctor, after calling him, asking him not to change the prescription and stating that if a DreamStation is prescribed you will not accept delivery. Carbon copy the DME and Medicare COA so they all have a copy of the email. If the DME keeps refusing to give you the machine you want it may be a good idea to buy from a different DME and a file complaint with Medicare on the original DME.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2018, 08:23 AM)MitchS Wrote: Do you have email addresses to your doctor, DME and Medicare COA? If so, it may be worthwhile emailing your doctor, after calling him, asking him not to change the prescription and stating that if a DreamStation is prescribed you will not accept delivery. Carbon copy the DME and Medicare COA so they all have a copy of the email. If the DME keeps refusing to give you the machine you want it may be a good idea to buy from a different DME and a file complaint with Medicare on the original DME.

Great advice, IMO I'd follow this.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2018, 08:09 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: like Either get me the ResMed, or someone else gets my business. See what happens.

That is exactly what they want.  They don't want to be bothered to special order a machine and pay $100 more for it.  Their delay tactics and lying has made this very clear.  They have chosen the wrong alligator to wrestle.  
I told CAO emphatically that I did NOT want to go to different DME and start this whole process all over again.  Not fair for my doctor's staff to fax 45 pages to another DME.  Staff has better things to do.  And another full month of waiting for machine. 

CAO assured me that DME will deliver my machine by Dec 5.  Bad mark like this could cost them next competitive bid.  DMEs are not allowed to refuse a Medicare patient.  Delaying and lying to me so I give up and go elsewhere is one form of refusing a Medicare patient.  I am mad and digging in my heels now.  They have to get me my machine by Dec. 5.  Especially since they mischaracterized me as a psychotic, mental patient because I refused to accept a machine that doesn't fit my needs.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.