Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DME charges for remote monitoring
DME charges for remote monitoring
I'm a bit confused about what my DME is doing. I have recently started seeing invoices for  a code  "A9279 Monitoring feature/devicenoc". Both Medicare and my Plan G provider (Aetna) have denied coverage for this monthly charge. The DME's main office says it for the built-in modem and the uploads. It won't break the bank at $10/month but it seems to me that it should already be part of the monthly charges for the CPAP itself. Is there recourse to push back and see if this is some sort of add-on or is this a typical industry practice?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME charges for remote monitoring
This may be relevant.......

https://med.noridianmedicare.com/web/jdd...ng-revised
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2022, 04:48 PM)StratCat48 Wrote: This may be relevant.......

https://med.noridianmedicare.com/web/jdd...ng-revised

Thank you for the information. I may have to get the DME to justify the charge based on that info.
Post Reply Post Reply
Simply decline to be monitored unless there is some good reason such as a need to demonstrate DOT or FAA compliance for therapy. Since you are probably retired, and Medicare does not cover, the DME is prohibited from billing it. This is exactly the problem we were concerned about when we issued the Action Alert forum and thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...data-is-be Philips is using data, that they encrypted to keep it away from patients and doctors to create a "value added" service for suppliers and health care providers to be able to charge for monitoring and therapy feedback.

From post #3: "To expand on the Philips Corp long-term strategy that works to monetize the data they collect from your medical devices, here is a longer version with a glossary to help interpret the motive and effect of their vision. Their plan is to work with their health systems "customers" (DMEs, equipment suppliers, clinics, physicians and insurance) to increase revenue by making consumers or patients more dependent on care managers to access solutions to their therapy issues. Philips will use therapy data to flag patient issues and refer them to care managers that subscribe (pay) for these referrals and recommended solutions. To achieve this, it is a clear objective of Philips Respironics to ensure patients will not have access to either data or settings, eliminating the self-help avenue that is the basis of the Apnea Board forum."
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Other than compliance for insurance and proof of use for other agencies, the monitoring function serves as an incentive to keep you engaged. Your doctor, if he is concerned, can monitor you using ResMed's professional software for which he pays the tab.

For pilots, you might want to look at https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/hea...eep_apnea/ which was last modified on January 22, 2021. Ask your local FAA medical examiner if you can use an Oscar report with a signed statement of use.

For your DME, demand a written report and a statement of who receives the data or you will file a HIPPA complaint -- they normally go away.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
If you open the CPAP machine and unplug the modem, they cannot "monitor." I wonder if the charge would go away.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Need help with Pulse Oximetry monitoring results NickAsleepPol 1 437 11-14-2023, 05:14 AM
Last Post: NickAsleepPol
  Would like to add Pulse Oximetry to my monitoring Boreas 3 588 11-13-2023, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Boreas
  Sleep postures monitoring Pixel Ninja 1 365 07-09-2023, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Capnography with CPAP (home monitoring) Apnea23 2 511 06-04-2023, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is remote manipulation of CPAP data, like AHI, possible? Cam12 3 608 05-25-2023, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Sleep Tracking/Monitoring Device GoliGoli 0 484 08-01-2022, 01:11 PM
Last Post: GoliGoli
  Watch for monitoring sleep? Benzi 0 492 06-01-2022, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Benzi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.