Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DME legal responsibility to follow Rx?
RE: DME legal responsibility to follow Rx?
Personally I would call UHC. I have had great luck with BlueShield. they put me on hold and called the DME while I waited, picked up my new machine the same day.
Prescriptions out here anyway work that they must give you what the doctor ordered or get the doctor to change the prescription. They can only change it if they specifically say so: generic, or similar, patient choice (mask)…. if they specify a specific machine, then that is it-period.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you know what resolution you want, offer it to the DME first. If they satisfy your request, it can all end right there and you'll be whole. The only reason to start with other parties is to potentially "get even", and your risk is that they won't care. Medicare would probably see the Icon as equivalent and it's not worth their time to pursue this; the doctor's office is in the same boat. It's possible they will feel compelled to correct the behavior of the DME, but I'm telling you it's unlikely.

Start by offering a straight up resolution, then escalate if necessary. Personally, I'd ask for the CPAP auto setup in fixed CPAP mode.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamstation Pro was specified on the Rx.

I've attached the Rx with doctor/DME blacked out.

Other than the name, what wording should I be requesting?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It's been nearly 2-years. I agree the DME should have dispensed properly. I think in addition to complaining that the prescription was not followed, you need to emphasize that the reason you followed up at this time is because your AHI is excessive, and the machine provided does not offer a clue as to what is going on because it does not differentiate types of apnea. This is why you need the Dreamstation, and why your doctor is going to ask why his directions were not followed. He can't help you with the data from the ICON. The fact the DME saved money by dispensing a cheaper machine that was not as prescribed should not be overlooked.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Talked with the DME office manager. 

She claims:
   1. That the Dreamstation Pro was a less sophisticated machine than the ICON+ since the Pro has no "Auto" mode and the ICON+ does.
   2. That two years ago when I was being set up, the new Dreamstation was just coming out ... and they had inventory on ICON+ but not the new Dreamstation. Starting in 2017 they began dispensing the new Dreamstation model.
   3. That she is calling the Dr's office to get an Rx for the "Auto" mode on the ICON+.
   4. That if I bring it in either this afternoon or tomorrow morning they will verify the ICON+ is working properly and set it to "Auto" mode.
   5. They correctly dispensed per the Code E0601.

It doesn't sound like I'll get anywhere with them, so will be getting a new machine on my own dime shortly.

So, which of the two in your opinion has the more settings and can give the more info to the Dr: Dreamstation or Airsense 10? Both seem to be in the $900-$1,000 range.

Oh, setting the ICON+ to a fixed pressure of 17 is NOT working for me; two poor nights sleep since bumping from 14 to 17.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2018, 07:56 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you know what resolution you want, offer it to the DME first. If they satisfy your request, it can all end right there and you'll be whole.  The only reason to start with other parties is to potentially "get even", and your risk is that they won't care.  Medicare would probably see the Icon as equivalent and it's not worth their time to pursue this; the doctor's office is in the same boat.  It's possible they will feel compelled to correct the behavior of the DME, but I'm telling you it's unlikely.

Start by offering a straight up resolution, then escalate if necessary.  Personally, I'd ask for the CPAP auto setup in fixed CPAP mode.

It happens that my specialty is human conflict studies.  It has been my experience that an escalated approach is often the best, if longest, way to get a whole bunch of people in a related field or chain of activity kindly disposed to helping us.  It's easy to confront or drop suppliers and helpers when we understand they absolutely will not accede to our requests, and when we can simply find another supplier.  Some cannot...not easily.  So, I feel that Sleeprider's suggestion has a lot of merit; start low 'n slow, and build 'getting your back up' as you encounter unreasonable resistance.  Give each level of support an opportunity to understand your problem, orient themselves to how/if they can help, and then deal with the fallout as it becomes clear to you what it is.  If the DME slaps their forehead and agrees to do what you need them to do, you won't have had to explain yourself, and perhaps provide documentation, to the next level, or to the one after that.

That is my counsel.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd choose the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset over any other CPAP on the market. I've said this many times. It is what we secured for my wife. Resmed has the most responsive auto algorithm and smoothest feeling breathing flow, along with a true bilevel approach to exhale pressure relief. I consistently see better results on people using the Resmed.

You or anyone else can setup the Icon as an auto machine. The clinical manual is available from Apnea Board and the instructions are all over the internet. I don't know why you wouldn't have tried the auto mode.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Love a follow up on my OSCAR readings plz! Captain Howdy 72 6,196 10-22-2023, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
  Questions about first follow up with Dr after starting cpap JulieK 2 601 06-29-2023, 06:03 AM
Last Post: Rich66
Question [Equipment] Is it legal for DME providers to decline a CPAP device without Credit Card info? ngxt25 10 1,791 08-12-2022, 06:17 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  Need guidance for complex sleep apnea and leaks follow-up jmayer180 110 7,154 03-19-2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  Follow Up Visit & Sleep Study is here :) Abletree 1 657 11-28-2021, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Abletree
  Complex Apnea follow-up jmayer180 2 593 11-14-2021, 12:58 PM
Last Post: jmayer180
  Allergy Filter Follow-Up FLcracker 1 529 11-08-2021, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.