Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Nuance Gel
Humidifier: DSXH
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

DME or Online?
Managed to speak to the DME today. The short end of the stick is they were disappointed that I had adjusted the machine but couldn't really argue with the results or reason for doing so. They'd just prefer I'd let them know in the future, so they could then advise my doctor of the alteration in treatment. Also got a copy of the prescription and sleep study results from them.

I brought up online retailers and, after being brushed off the first time, asking about a discount. They're willing to reduce the cost of the machine from $2405 to $1800 after I brought up online retailers and pushed a bit for a discounted price.

For about $1200 (or $1000 on Amazon if I really want to gamble), I can purchase the standard DreamStation kit (AutoPAP, humidifier, heated tube .etc). There are also two other clinics in my area I could shop around with.

The DME offers a 5 year warranty, the ability to drop the machine off for servicing or replacement locally, and free appointments. They seem willing to let me trial a ResMed machine to compare it to the DreamStation, a well.

Online offers a 2 year warranty, exchanges for defects in manufacturing only, and shipping times of up to two weeks.

How did you guys decide on the direction to go?
10-07-2016 03:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: DME or Online?
Those who have insurance generally buy through their DME.
I bought my present machine from Supplier #2. I did so to get an updated machine; and the machine I wanted.
(I had a prescription for that transfer.)

Things appear to be different in Canada; and even among the various Provinces.
Best advice is likely to come from your fellow Canadians.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-07-2016 04:36 PM
TonyJ Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: System one auto 561CA
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: system one
CPAP Pressure: 8, 7-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: also use the F & P Eson and Simplus masks

(10-07-2016 03:54 PM)EnigmaGrey Wrote:  Managed to speak to the DME today. The short end of the stick is they were disappointed that I had adjusted the machine but couldn't really argue with the results or reason for doing so. They'd just prefer I'd let them know in the future, so they could then advise my doctor of the alteration in treatment. Also got a copy of the prescription and sleep study results from them.

I brought up online retailers and, after being brushed off the first time, asking about a discount. They're willing to reduce the cost of the machine from $2405 to $1800 after I brought up online retailers and pushed a bit for a discounted price.

For about $1200 (or $1000 on Amazon if I really want to gamble), I can purchase the standard DreamStation kit (AutoPAP, humidifier, heated tube .etc). There are also two other clinics in my area I could shop around with.

The DME offers a 5 year warranty, the ability to drop the machine off for servicing or replacement locally, and free appointments. They seem willing to let me trial a ResMed machine to compare it to the DreamStation, a well.

Online offers a 2 year warranty, exchanges for defects in manufacturing only, and shipping times of up to two weeks.

How did you guys decide on the direction to go?

Not sure who you were dealing with or what Province you reside in but the prices you have mentioned seem much too high. Check out cpapclinic online and you will see what I mean. If you have problems with that PM me and I will look it up for you. For example they sell the Dreamstation APAP with humidifier and heated hose for $1055 CDN.
10-07-2016 06:24 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
EnigmaGrey Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Respironics DSX500T11
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Nuance Gel
Humidifier: DSXH
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments:

I'm currently residing in New Brunswick, without insurance. The clinic is a franchise of Maritime Sleep Clinic.

Approx. 1200$ is from Supplier 20.

cpapclinic is also one i looked at, but am unsure how trust worthy some online vendors are. At least i've seen reviews for cpapclinic elsewhere, so perhaps it'd be a good choice after all.
10-07-2016 06:46 PM
KSMatthew Online

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DreamStation Auto
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 7

Other Comments:

I have insurance, but it's a high deductible. Since I would be paying full price anyway, I go online for the best deal. If you are new to CPAP, I'd go DME for the mask. They can fit you and swap masks for you until you find one that works. After that, order online replacements.
10-07-2016 07:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Sex: Female

It might be worth your while to be able to trial both machines to get the one that may work better for you. Hands down, a Resmed was a better choice for me, but for my brother, it was Respironics. If that 5 year warranty includes FREE rental while your machine is being serviced, that well may be worth your while since repair can take some weeks (they usually have to send it out). Cpap machine rental is quite expensive if even available. Check Craigslist for the availability of used machines.
10-08-2016 07:07 PM
TonyJ Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: System one auto 561CA
Humidifier: system one
CPAP Pressure: 8, 7-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: also use the F & P Eson and Simplus masks

(10-07-2016 06:46 PM)EnigmaGrey Wrote:  I'm currently residing in New Brunswick, without insurance. The clinic is a franchise of Maritime Sleep Clinic.

Approx. 1200$ is from Supplier 20.

cpapclinic is also one i looked at, but am unsure how trust worthy some online vendors are. At least i've seen reviews for cpapclinic elsewhere, so perhaps it'd be a good choice after all.

I have dealt with them and in my opinion they are as good as it gets.
10-09-2016 10:31 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Online suppliers clipper 9 444 07-23-2016 12:02 AM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  New to all this. Apria vs. Online? jgoole 18 1,463 07-15-2016 10:40 AM
Last Post: nzbnate
  [CPAP] Local Provider vs. Online CPAP BigDaddySnooze 15 923 07-10-2016 05:06 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Purchasing APAP machine online cate1898 8 730 06-14-2016 04:45 AM
Last Post: Mutineer
  Newbie question - should I buy my FIRST machine online or from a local distributor? kowlooner 11 1,118 04-26-2016 10:53 PM
Last Post: kowlooner
  Online source for supplies Hilobarbie 14 2,144 11-03-2015 04:27 PM
Last Post: zonk
  Should I buy through the DME, Hospital or Online? Ailu 18 3,005 10-29-2015 04:18 PM
Last Post: DariaVader