Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DME or Online?
DME or Online?
Managed to speak to the DME today. The short end of the stick is they were disappointed that I had adjusted the machine but couldn't really argue with the results or reason for doing so. They'd just prefer I'd let them know in the future, so they could then advise my doctor of the alteration in treatment. Also got a copy of the prescription and sleep study results from them.

I brought up online retailers and, after being brushed off the first time, asking about a discount. They're willing to reduce the cost of the machine from $2405 to $1800 after I brought up online retailers and pushed a bit for a discounted price.

For about $1200 (or $1000 on Amazon if I really want to gamble), I can purchase the standard DreamStation kit (AutoPAP, humidifier, heated tube .etc). There are also two other clinics in my area I could shop around with.

The DME offers a 5 year warranty, the ability to drop the machine off for servicing or replacement locally, and free appointments. They seem willing to let me trial a ResMed machine to compare it to the DreamStation, a well.

Online offers a 2 year warranty, exchanges for defects in manufacturing only, and shipping times of up to two weeks.

How did you guys decide on the direction to go?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME or Online?
Those who have insurance generally buy through their DME.
I bought my present machine from Supplier #2. I did so to get an updated machine; and the machine I wanted.
(I had a prescription for that transfer.)

Things appear to be different in Canada; and even among the various Provinces.
Best advice is likely to come from your fellow Canadians.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2016, 03:54 PM)EnigmaGrey Wrote: Managed to speak to the DME today. The short end of the stick is they were disappointed that I had adjusted the machine but couldn't really argue with the results or reason for doing so. They'd just prefer I'd let them know in the future, so they could then advise my doctor of the alteration in treatment. Also got a copy of the prescription and sleep study results from them.

I brought up online retailers and, after being brushed off the first time, asking about a discount. They're willing to reduce the cost of the machine from $2405 to $1800 after I brought up online retailers and pushed a bit for a discounted price.

For about $1200 (or $1000 on Amazon if I really want to gamble), I can purchase the standard DreamStation kit (AutoPAP, humidifier, heated tube .etc). There are also two other clinics in my area I could shop around with.

The DME offers a 5 year warranty, the ability to drop the machine off for servicing or replacement locally, and free appointments. They seem willing to let me trial a ResMed machine to compare it to the DreamStation, a well.

Online offers a 2 year warranty, exchanges for defects in manufacturing only, and shipping times of up to two weeks.

How did you guys decide on the direction to go?

Not sure who you were dealing with or what Province you reside in but the prices you have mentioned seem much too high. Check out cpapclinic online and you will see what I mean. If you have problems with that PM me and I will look it up for you. For example they sell the Dreamstation APAP with humidifier and heated hose for $1055 CDN.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm currently residing in New Brunswick, without insurance. The clinic is a franchise of Maritime Sleep Clinic.

Approx. 1200$ is from Supplier 20.

cpapclinic is also one i looked at, but am unsure how trust worthy some online vendors are. At least i've seen reviews for cpapclinic elsewhere, so perhaps it'd be a good choice after all.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have insurance, but it's a high deductible. Since I would be paying full price anyway, I go online for the best deal. If you are new to CPAP, I'd go DME for the mask. They can fit you and swap masks for you until you find one that works. After that, order online replacements.
Post Reply Post Reply
It might be worth your while to be able to trial both machines to get the one that may work better for you. Hands down, a Resmed was a better choice for me, but for my brother, it was Respironics. If that 5 year warranty includes FREE rental while your machine is being serviced, that well may be worth your while since repair can take some weeks (they usually have to send it out). Cpap machine rental is quite expensive if even available. Check Craigslist for the availability of used machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2016, 06:46 PM)EnigmaGrey Wrote: I'm currently residing in New Brunswick, without insurance. The clinic is a franchise of Maritime Sleep Clinic.

Approx. 1200$ is from Supplier 20.

cpapclinic is also one i looked at, but am unsure how trust worthy some online vendors are. At least i've seen reviews for cpapclinic elsewhere, so perhaps it'd be a good choice after all.

I have dealt with them and in my opinion they are as good as it gets.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone interested in starting an online self-help video chat for people with SA/UARS? JamesD0079 0 345 10-26-2023, 09:56 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 818 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  best canadian online cpap stores? is cpap outlet legit ? michelbeaini 1 1,188 07-03-2023, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Online sleep physicians who use OSCAR ? stevelk9999 19 1,728 06-13-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,982 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  Buying AirSense 11 online, is it possible to have it registered to Air View? Spartan 1 758 11-29-2022, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Insurance and DME supplier vs Online purchases ajthatch 4 829 10-28-2022, 09:00 PM
Last Post: clownbell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.