Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Breathing
Breathing

Hello All......I am using a nose-only CPAP machine, photo attached.

I also have a full unit which covers the mouth and the nose, but have only used it for a few moments in the DR office.

When I am lying down and trying to fall asleep, how am I supposed to be breathing? Through my nose, with my mouth shut.....in which case my exhaling is difficult as I am fighting the incoming air, or through my mouth and not using my nose at all?

Also, if I switch to the full mask which covers my nose and my mouth, how would I go about breathing at all? I tried it in the DR office for about a minute and exhaling seemed literally impossible.

Thanks all - Jon

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Breathing
Just in case you don't know, the machine is not a 'nose only'. It is the mask that is nose only. The same machine (whatever antique thing that is) can be used with any mask.

Breathe through your nose. Does your machine have a ramp feature? As in it starts out at a lower pressure then slowly increases over a set amount of time. If it does, use that until you get used to it.

Do you breathe through your mouth at night? If you do, then you need either a chin strap or a full face mask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

yes, it has a ramp feature......it starts out low and then increases over time.

as mentioned in the introduction thread the photo shown is just to show what the face mask I am using looks like.....the actual CPAP machine on my bedstand is quite small. I just found a better photo and have attached it below, and my machine and mask are identical; the mouth stays uncovered.

when I breathe in and out through my nose I get a headache......it seems like exhaling back into the mask is a major chore and my brain is kind of telling me to use my mouth instead?

Post Reply Post Reply
It would really help to have the name of the machine as well as the name of the mask. So many masks look similar.

With the make and model of your machine, we can help you find out if it has any kind of exhale pressure relief. Many of them do.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2012, 08:15 AM)Jon in Thailand Wrote: ...the actual CPAP machine on my bedstand is quite small. I just found a better photo and have attached it below, and my machine and mask are identical;
Its Fisher & Paykel Icon. There are 3 models, Novo is basic entry machine with no efficacy data just compliance reporting and play music while Auto and Premo data capable machines with efficacy data. look at the youtube video to find if your mask comes from F&P as well.
The Auto have a SensAwake feature and all three models got the heated hose which protect against rainout.
http://www.youtube.com/user/fphealthcare

This Vimeo video from cpaplibrary take you through the Icon setup which is the same for all models
http://vimeo.com/20560260

Also you may ask for the manual from here - scroll down to section three
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 101 Today, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 7 216 Yesterday, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,703 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 359 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 396 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 373 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 211 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.