Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DME's yearly reminder (good thing I didn't have a mouth of coffee)
DME's yearly reminder (good thing I didn't have a mouth of coffee)
Rec'd my first year reminder from my DME that I should be changing my mask, hose and don't forget the filters.

I laughed out loud when I read and I quote "At 6 months your mask grows BACTERIA & FUNGUS.  This cannot be washed out increasing the risk for RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS".  The bold sections are bold in the brochure. 

My wife has been on a CPAP for 5 years and myself for 1 year and the hoses and masks are washed and soaked for at least an hour before drying.  We have not had an infection at all.

I find the irony of this DME selling the SoClean and Lumin as an accessory to avoid getting respiratory infection from bacteria & fungus.

Don't get me wrong, personal health is number 1 but attempting to scare a client into making a purchase is a bit too much.

Here in Manitoba, Canada our province used to cover the CPAP 100% but just a year ago changed that to a $500.00 copay for the machine and initial setup.  Now all the yearly replacements are not covered and with the online access to better prices the DMEs could be losing out on sales.  In Canada you do not need a prescription to purchase a mask or other supplies so online it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME's yearly reminder (good thing I didn't have a mouth of coffee)
A little common sense and some research goes a long ways. That.....and being a member of this forum.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2019, 09:09 AM)elwoodpdowd Wrote: ...
My wife has been on a CPAP for 5 years and myself for 1 year and the hoses and masks are washed and soaked for at least an hour before drying.  We have not had an infection at all.

You don't even need to do that; you're unnecessarily timing a function that has no measurable or scientifically valid outcome.  All of us cough once or twice into our masks.  When we do that, we populate the inside of the mask with schmutz that is resident inside our airways.  What's the problem if it's also resident in our own throats or bronchia?

I have been on this forum for nearly two years, and have yet to see a person post an image of, or report an incident of, any 'infection' inside of a mask.  I won't go so far as to say it can't, or hasn't, happened.  That would be too much.  But, it's such a rare and ultra low risk that it bears as much hesitancy as boarding an aircraft and fearing for your life.

If you must, wash the surface of your mask, inner and outer, with warm water and dish soap daily and set it aside to dry.  Soaking, ozonating, subjecting it to agents intended to destroy pathogens of all kinds, is really not going to be very efficacious in the long run....EXCEPT.....to make us feel better for having done it. Maybe that, alone, suffices...dunno.

The DMEs are, first and foremost, businesses.  They need to move products.  They need to pay staff they trust and would like to retain.  That means paying them well.  They can't do that unless they move product, and with a hefty markup.  Restaurants are no different.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using my original F20 mask and cushion for 2 yrs and 7 months. I wash the cushion the cushion every day or two, to remove skin oils to assure a better seal. I haven't washed my hose in a year at least. No sign of bacterial or fungal growth. The air I breath may have comes in contact with any of the surfaces in my home. I feel no need tt clean and sanitize them all daily.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ask for a scientific study that proves the mask cannot be used after 6 months due to bacteria and fungus. And ask if they replace everything they touch every 6 months for bacteria and fungus. Cue cricket chirps. Better yet cue dope slap. OK don't actually dope slap the DME because we can't visit you in jail.

Deductible
Modicum
Entertainment
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME here in Western Kentucky generates a computerized  once a month call to me  in an obvious attempt to persuade me to buy a variety of rather non-essential CPAP supplies ( Mask, hose , filters, etc. etc). I just blandly click off the numerous  items that I DON'T need. I will give themm credit though, on the infrequent occasions when I do want some item it generates a correct order, and  it comes to me promptly.  And they have never sent me items that I didn't OK in advance.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME supplier doesn't contact me until it's time to re-supply. When they do, they don't ship until I have responded to their message and approved the list of supplies. 

It wasn't always that way though. Initially, they just sent me what they thought I needed. Supposedly, they have a pre-notification process, but I wasn't enrolled in it. 

They made no effort to make me aware of it from the start. I had to find out on my own.  Annoyed-and-disappointed
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe Medicare reimburses suppliers for replacement masks,etc whether you ask for them or not. It is not necessarily  in their interest to remind you to replace- it is in your interest
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME sends a quarterly email as to what my insurance (Medicare) says I can get. I usually get most of it (whether I really need it or not) as it is always good to have spares. I don't order the heated hose as I prefer a longer hose with  my setup and the heated ones don't come in that length. As I have had my machine for less than a year, I had a period where I didn't have a spare humidifier tank. Just placed an order and got the notification there will be a delay as they can't ship it yet because it is too close to the last shipping date. Essentially, instead of shipping it on the 16th, they'll ship on the 19th. I can live with that. My wife and I both use the same mask model and size so we have plenty of parts.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're supposed to replace your mask? ;-)

I'm self mitigating. I pay for all my own stuff. I have a dreamwear mask so It's just a saddle under my nose. In three years I've replaced the nose piece three times and the mask once and only because I felt the soft plastic was getting a little too soft. I've got the same hose and head strap. I've never had a respiratory issue (knock on wood).

Interestingly I was just talking with my daughter this morning. She asked about those ion cleaners for cpap masks. She thought it would make a good Christmas gift. I told her that the verdict on those used to be out but now most agree that the advertisements to make us feel like we'll die without it are bogus. Save your money. I'd rather have a new fishing pole.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 7 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 71 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 148 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.