Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DME said to keep hose "above and behind pillow" to avoid the issue of dragging hose
DME said to keep hose "above and behind pillow" to avoid the issue of dragging hose
My DME technician said that to avoid the hose waking you up, getting tied around in it, or to pull the pillows off your face, that I should try to keep the hose above and behind me so that it's coming over the pillow.

I've tried this position, but it doesn't make any sense. 

How can you do that with the F&P Brevida without the hose ripping the pillow off you? Those hose has to be in the standard down position otherwise a seal cannot be maintained. 

Would the Hose Buddy type product achieve the purpose I am looking for (avoid it sitting on top of me and allow me to side sleep without dislodging the mask)? 

(not shilling for HB, just need to know before I spend money on it since keeping the hose "above and behind pillow" did not work!)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME said to keep hose "above and behind pillow" to avoid the issue of dragging hose
The HoseBuddy is one of the best cpap related purchases I have made. It does a great job keeping the excess hose from dragging on the headboard as well as up and out of the way. You are correct, though. You do need enough slack to keep the hose from putting pressure on the mask. For me, a couple of inches longer than the amount of slack for the mask to just touch the bed when hanging by the hose from the HoseBuddy works best.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME said to keep hose "above and behind pillow" to avoid the issue of dragging hose
I fabricated up a hose holder a while back. It was a big improvement over just letting the hose come to me from my bedside stand. 

I'm still doing some fine tuning here and there. My hose rests atop our bed headboard. I bought a soft fleece hose cover for it and that stops any noise a bare hose might make by moving around some. 

I use an F20 FFM. I have an F30 coming to me near the end of the month. I'm a side sleeper and the F20 works pretty good for me. I hoping that the F30 mask will be as compliant. 

My hose hangs directly above me. It's also on a swivel hook that moves with me when I turn from one side to the other.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a simple lanyard to suspend the hose from the headboard. That is roughly what the DME is saying.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to use my hose buddy, and it keeps slipping from under my new mattress and adjustable bed frame. So, I recently made my own hose clips, buying some velcro ties and some name badge clips, now I can clip the hose to my bed sheet and it works perfectly for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have a headboard--do you think the hose buddy would still be helpful? It can't be worse than the hose dragging across my body, right? Lol
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Phillips "DreamWear" full face mask and the hose is on the top of my head and I now do not wake up to untangle the hose the way I use to. The air comes down each side of your head in an almost flat hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2019, 02:09 PM)vroomvroom Wrote: I don't have a headboard--do you think the hose buddy would still be helpful? It can't be worse than the hose dragging across my body, right? Lol

The Hose Buddy can be helpful- for beds without a headboard - I have also seen a photo of someone using a swing arm floor lamp as their hose holder.

Note: if you have an adjustable bed frame (one that raises, etc) the hose buddy might come loose, but if it is a regular bed frame it should be stable between the mattresses.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2019, 02:09 PM)vroomvroom Wrote: I don't have a headboard--do you think the hose buddy would still be helpful? It can't be worse than the hose dragging across my body, right? Lol

Even w/o a headboard, you could simply put a hook in the wall above your head. Even a stick-on hook or sorts would be a good start. That way, you don't have to put a hole in the wall.

Once you have an anchor point, all the rest is simply trial and error. That's how I approached it. As I mentioned, I'm still refining my hose hanger to get it just right.

I put up with the hose lying across my body for about a month or so. That was a real hassle. No way I'll ever go back to that method.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
what I use is a "Circadiance Tube Management Clip" either clip to pillow or PJs
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 155 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 102 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 658 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,857 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.