Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DME sent me a used resmed 10
DME sent me a used resmed 10
So a yr ago I had a sleep study and My DME sent me my air sense 10, all of this was paid for by Medicare and me.  Today I just found out it has 5280 hrs. when I was scrolling through the menu.

( I know stupid me for not checking sooner.).  My use is a constant 8 hrs a night  +/- for a yr is about 2920 hrs.  

So that kind of makes me think I had a fast one pulled on me. I know Medicare will replace after 5 yrs. if something is wrong, but that makes it 6 yrs for my machine.

Is this normal for these DME providers?  For what they charged Medicare and myself I should have  received a brand new unit.   Should I call them up and politely present my case, or not worry about it because this is standard in the industry.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME sent me a used resmed 10
I don't think it can be called an industry standard, but I do understand where you are coming from. From what I have learned on here, it happens quite often to some degree or another. 

When my AirSense 10 AutoSet was given to me, once home with it, I found out that it already had 52 hrs. on it. It appeared new to me and it came with all the manuals and carry case. 

I can tell you this though. It won't happen again in the future. I now know better and will be sure that my DME supplier understands that new means new. 

As far as contacting your DME supplier goes, nothing ventured, nothing gained. But, that's just me and the way I go about some things. 

If you do decide to call it to their attention, best of luck to you.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same thing happen to me, but I caught it within the first two months.
I complained loudly (was not nice at all), and they replaced it with a brand new 0 run hour machine.

If I were you, even though you’ve had it awhile, would still let them know. Ask what they plan to do about it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
But it was new to you, so says DME. OR maybe they meant a new sale.

Hammer
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well after I went on Medicare website and totaled up what Medicare actually paid my DME for my machine rental and mask it came to $1408.67. And $208 was me.

Now I’m on a mission for a new machine.

Thanks everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply
DME calling, would you like oceanfront property in AZ? It's for your health. Act now and we'll throw in a bridge.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went with a friend who was getting hist first machine. The tech was not happy when I showed him it had several hundred hours on it. My friend got a new one. I'm sure all the machines returned for non-compliance or other reasons get recycled to new victims (I mean patients)
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I remember once my DME was supposed to be giving me a new BiPAP ASV, and it looked like it wasn't new to me and I asked them about it and they said that it was used and it was the one they had ready for me, but if I preferred a new one they would get that ready for me and I would have to wait while they got it ready for me. So, I chose to wait for the new one!
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you should name and shame the DME so others on this forum don't get caught out. You should also inform Medicare.

Your big advantage for getting a new machine is the nightly usage. Who sleeps for 16 hours a day? are you prepared to stroll into their offices and create a big loud noisy fuss?
Post Reply Post Reply
The name is Apria Health care. There clueless.  I’m also going to call resmed with my serial number and see if they can tell me the first date this machine was used. 

I wish I knew then what I know now.

Beware folks when you first walk down the path with these DME companies. Always request and verify your getting new equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.