Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DME ships wrong supplies, refuses to replace with correct supplies
DME ships wrong supplies, refuses to replace with correct supplies
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this situation.  In November, I switched from Resmed's P30i mask system to Bleep's system.  I notified my DME (Preferred Homecare, a sister company to Lincare) that I wanted to switch over to Bleep.  They marked their records of my call and said they could provide it, but I would have to wait until the next quarterly shipment of supplies was due to be mailed.  I didn't mind waiting, and purchased Bleep's supplies out of pocket because I knew the next quarterly shipment would be mailed mid-December.  I called them again around the first of December to confirm I would receive Bleep supplies in the December shipment, and they said that I would.

If by now you had guessed that I received another quarterly supply of Resmed's P30i mask system, you are correct.  I called the DME as soon as I received the order to request replacement.  They looked at my records and confirmed that their records proved I had contacted them twice earlier regarding my request to receive Bleep supplies in my December shipment and in future shipments, but said that they were unwilling to send the correct supplies because my Medicare Advantage provider (Aetna) wouldn't pay for the mistake.  The DME did say that my insurer normally would cover the cost of Bleep, but simply did not want to pay for this mistake in fulfilling the order.

The DME's explanation makes no sense to me, since the mistake is their fault and not Aetna's.  I intend to write the DME a letter, documenting what I was told on the phone, but thought I should check here to see if any of this sounds familiar.  After I asked the DME on the phone what would happen 90 days from now if the next shipment is also incorrect, they told me not to be concerned, which of course provides no comfort!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME ships wrong supplies, refuses to replace with correct supplies
The DME sent the wrong product. THEY are at fault. Return them. There shouldn't be any charge to you or insurance. And of course be concerned for the next shipment. Dunno maybe they're asking you to fire them.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As long as items are not opened, the mistake loss, is the costs from shipping and handling. They should be able to handle that. Your option is to change suppliers.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Starting fresh with a new DME is probably my best bet in getting the correct stuff off the bat. When I looked around Reno years ago, my doc could only recall three DMEs in the area and one has now gone out of business so I not sure what the choices are, but I will investigate. Up to now, I've been satisfied with my current DME but I doubt they will ever fix their mistake.
Post Reply Post Reply
their big mistake is in losing a customer.
let them know.
Post Reply Post Reply
My suggestion on how to replace this DME is this:

1. Call your insurance customer service line, ask for a list of nearby DME's in-network, get phone number and physical address, get about 5 choices
2. Work that list, call the DME's, look at the websites
3. Your own subjective grading them and add in others reviews.
4. Choose which you think will be best and begin the process of switching
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This was not your fault. Call your insurance company and let them do the heavy lifting on getting it squared away.  After all that's what they get paid for.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I'm not willing to put up with this again and will use your advice to follow through.
Post Reply Post Reply
My sister uses a DME in your area whose name starts with A and they consistently ship wrong supplies, run out of supplies she uses, and screw up the billing. Seems that a competent DME could clean up in that market. If they only have those two, it looks like you may be hosed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just wanted to point out that your DME does not need to be local or "nearby".

I'm in a smallish West Coast town with no local providers that I'm aware of, and I was "assigned" (by my doctor's office?? - I never really understood how that worked) to a DME about 100 miles away in a large city, even though I've since learned there are DME's in towns closer to me.  

All my interactions with them and requests for equipment from Day 1 have been handled over the phone, and the last resupply request was via their online chat feature, which worked great. They have a good website too.  The resupply orders are shipped to my home very promptly. The fact that they are 100 miles away is irrelevant to the process in my experience.  (I did have issues with some of the phone order people initially, but learned to ask to speak to a supervisor and boy, what a different attitude!)

There could be reasons people aren't able to change DME's that I'm not aware of, but I did want to put the alternative out there.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 121 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Finding the Correct Mask snpperhd 6 153 04-13-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: snpperhd
  [Equipment] Who Do You Get Your Supplies From? Fritz1255 2 177 03-29-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 134 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 220 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 331 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 977 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.