Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What factors can cause AHI spikes
What factors can cause AHI spikes
I'm curious what factors can contribute to a sudden change in AHI.  I've been hovering at 0.4 to 0.8 AHI for a few months now.  This week, 4 out of 5 days jumped to around 3.5.  I realize that's still under 5, but I'm curious what factors typically contribute to sudden changes.  

Leak rate has stayed at basically zero.  Flow limitation  is typically between 0.00 and 0.02 as usual.

Environmentally, the temperature has dropped significantly in the last week from the 60s/70s to a high in the 30s, and snow was added to the mix yesterday.  My humidifier has been 100% empty each morning as a result.  Otherwise I'm not aware of any other changes.

So what typically causes a sudden change.  In my case, the change is predominantly CAs.  2 full screenshots and one zoomed section of periodic breathing (flagged as CSR) attached.

Thanks for the insight.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What factors can cause AHI spikes
Hi, nearenough  Has the temperature in your bedroom changed?  What about your sleeping position?
Post Reply Post Reply
The ambient temperature probably has 2 answers.  My thermostat has been at the same temperature so technically there's no change.  But realistically the 40 degree drop in the daily high/low clearly has an affect despite whet a thermostat reads.  My wife and I have been wearing winter cloths and added a blanket to our bedding given how cold the drop in temperature feels.  So, subjectively, I would say yes there has been a temperature drop.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tend to curl up or otherwise change posture when it's cooler.  That might affect breathing.  

I hope someone more knowledgeable than I will take a look at your charts for clues to what's happening and how to addrress it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Anything that effects your sleep with effect your AHI. So a new food, or heavy food, more or less alcohol, sleep position, sleep partner, more/less stress, and my personal favorite, aliens.

Do you typically have that many CA events? What event(s) have increased from your norm?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 677 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 290 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Fairly consistent pulse rate spikes every night shyrwall 4 326 01-12-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: shyrwall
  [Treatment] Low AHI but dizziness and fatigue with spikes of low O2 levels John94 8 1,107 01-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: PamVT41
  Bilevel settings (and other factors) revisited dfunk 15 1,110 12-20-2023, 04:09 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Many Awakenings with Heart Rate Spikes jr991 3 495 11-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: jr991

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.