Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DME story
RE: DME story
For me I have HSA and have met my deductible for the year. If I purchase this year I get 80/20 coverage. That is the main reason I am making sure the purchase happens this year.

There is also the whole 13 month rental for $2600 instead of purchase for $1900.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2017, 04:37 PM)mogulman Wrote: hmm...maybe I should double check with my insurance.   I called my insurance before the DME got my prescription and they told me I could purchase or rent and it would be covered.  They said there was no minimum rental limit or anything.

When I asked Apria (DME) about how it was going to be billed, they told me 10 month rental and then they would purchase it.    Maybe I should still rent it for a month or two, and then see if I can purchase it earlier?  or should I just push them for purchasing it during the first visit.  I have my appt to pickup the equipment from Apria in a week or so.

The DME makes more money if they issue as rental.  As mentioned above, some rentals run 13 months and put people into a new deductible period, so they get much less coverage and more out-of-pocket.  If you are 100% covered, this makes little difference, but if you have copay and deductible, insist on purchase if it is authorized.  It is not unusual for a machine to cost more with insurance than buying outright on Amazon.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I talked to my insurance again. This time they confirmed that 10 month rental is required before purchase.

This changes things a little bit for me. I was going to wait until Sept to get my machine, because my out of pocket for the year would be used up then, so the machine would be completely covered. Our insurance renews on 7/1 of each year though.

So If I wait until Sept, then June will be my 10th month start and I'll have to purchase in July, which would be out of the question. Basically full price, I'm assuming?

If I get the CPAP next week, I'll have to pay the deductable (they told me $200), but then the 10th month start will be May (ending in June) and theoretically, I could purchase the device at the end of June. I think.

Anyone else rented and purchased an know how it worked out?

I'm assuming the rental month/fee starts the day I pickup the device. I'm also assuming the purchase would happen 30 days after the start of the last rental month (10 months/May) for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chronic's Story chronic 19 787 04-16-2024, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 629,584 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Long story short chronic 5 419 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,124 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Cool Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask 00derek 2 949 11-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,128 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Geer1's Story - It isn't always Apnea (or UARS) Geer1 8 1,159 05-20-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Llort

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.